Exhaust work soon, Worth swapping gas tank?

lanteau

I'm getting some custom exhaust work done at a local shop soon (magnaflow resonator, 3" pipe back). How beneficial would it be for me to swap to the new style gas tank? My car is a 1990. Out of what year car can I get a gas tank out of? I'm assuming a gas tank out of a newer 4.6 N/A Thunderbird is the correct tank? Or does it have to be out of a Super Coupe? Can someone also explain how the new tank lets the exhaust route vs how it is routed now? How much should I expect to pay for a tank? Any inherent difficulties with swapping the tank? Thanks for all the replies.

less bends, i'd say its worth it. you also are more open to aftermarket exhaust setups. and yeah, that tank will work fine, no problems. make sure you have an sc fuel pump in there though.

48144. But I think I'm just going to go to my local junkyard and get one. They have 9 tanks from late model MN12s. I think they only want 50 bucks for them, and I have a connection that works there so I could probably get out the door with it for 30 bucks. ;) I can re use my current pump and all that right?

Yes but if u plan on doing any upgrades in the future u might want to put an aftermarket one in while it's out. it'll save you the trouble later

It's not necessary, but IMO the exhaust shop would probably charge you more to build the new exhaust around the old style tank that your cost to swap it to the new style tank and have exhaust built around it.

Yeah assuming I can get the tank for like 30 or 40 dollars. My labor is free (or is it?) so that's not bad. New style tank should be easier for the exhaust shop, less bends.

Back