Oil pan sealing help

S_Mazza

Hello guys. I am having an interesting week. Must have gotten the new guy at the inspection station. My SC just failed state inspection for condensation in the headlights, a 4-year-old chip in the windshield, and ... oil leaks. Apparently, I have drips of oil from the valve covers, transmission pan, and possibly the oil pan too. And because the oil might get onto the converters and might then light on fire, it failed. Okay...:rolleyes:

I know that removing the oil pan means supporting the engine and dropping the K-member. Now the question is, is it possible to get enough clearance to just re-seal the oil pan without removing it?

I haven't actually gotten under the car to verify that the pan is leaking, but I will do that soon. (I think there's a chance it's just the valve covers.) I don't have to add oil between changes, and I never have to add trans fluid, so this sounds a little out of whack to me.

Thanks for your help. Not looking forward to dropping the K-member!

Just use a boat load of brake parts cleaner and a few rags, well I guess depending on how bad its leaking:rolleyes:
You might get lucky too and get a different inspection person
How is inspection based in PA? age, out of state title, etc

There's no gasket on the oil pan.. just rtv if thats any consolation for you. If the oil is coming out at the back of the motor area and transmission, it could be the rear oil seal.

Fraser

Just use a boat load of brake parts cleaner and a few rags, well I guess depending on how bad its leaking:rolleyes:
You might get lucky too and get a different inspection person
How is inspection based in PA? age, out of state title, etc

In PA, you have to pass safety inspection every year. Lights, brakes, tires, suspension, glass, wipers, and body damage are the things they usually check. So leaking gaskets threw me for a loop.

Depending on your county, you may also have to pass a yearly emissions inspection. I have always lived where they do emissions. It's usually not a big deal - never failed it in any of my cars - but last time, I scored 3591 ppm NOx out of 3600 ppm max! So the cats may be due for replacement too. (Oh, and I had to bite my tongue when I mentioned that and the counter guy said, "Nope, catalytic converters don't affect your NOx. It must be running hot." :eek:)

The inspections all take place at certified private mechanics ... as far as I know, there are no state-run stations.

I could go to a different shop, I guess ... but I don't want to go that route if I don't have to.

Hmm, no gasket. That's good to know. I am thinking it may be possible to lower the pan maybe an inch ... carefully scrape clean the surfaces ... and reseal it with RTV. But I am not sure. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to have to take the front cover off my newly rebuilt SC motor to replace the oil press. relief valve. :rolleyes: I hate the thought of trying to reseal the oil pan with it in the car. If you can do it effectively, you must be magic Steve. :) It was enough trouble on the engine stand! I'm going to leave the oil pan alone for the front cover remove if possible. I'm a fan of doing everything thoroughly, but there is always a limit! Especially after all the pain put in so far...

Hmm, no gasket. That's good to know. I am thinking it may be possible to lower the pan maybe an inch ... carefully scrape clean the surfaces ... and reseal it with RTV. But I am not sure. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it.

The front cover also seals to the oil pan. So pay close attention there. It isn't really all that hard to drop the front k-member. I'd see if someone around here can give you steps that account for what needs to be disconnected as far as hoses or wires. Get some chains to hold things up and you should have pretty clear access.

To be clear though, I'd wash stuff down good with parts clean first as a valve cover gasket can easily make it look like an oil pan gasket leak as the dang oil runs all over the place. I'm not sure where the oil pan gasket meets the requirement of a safety inspection anyway.

Note.. that's on my list. I won't move to a state with mandatory vehicle safety inspections.

I thought I had a rear main seal let go from the oil under the car, chased it up and thought it was the vavle covers, then pulled the SC and the snout seal had dumped 2/3 of the oil on the top of the lower manifold. Puddled up and flowed back, real nice like.....

You might be able to clean around the oil pan and seal it from the outside........?

Justin

Thanks very much for the replies! I think I am going to leave the oil pan for last ... clean everything really well ... and hope it's just the valve cover gaskets.

I did inspect the situation, and there is only a half inch of clearance below the pan. So I really don't want to play with it at all. If I have to drop the K-member, I am sure it can be done, but I don't have the best working facilities, so I could have to finagle something there.

I'm a couple of hours east of you, and have a lift, if you decide that you need to do it after all.... I'm sure we could work something out.

Thanks for the offer of help! If I need to go through with this, I just might give you a call.

Back