What Did You Apply to Your Flywheel Bolts??

bbird94

Hey guys,

I am putting my car back together (...again) and noticed that when I pulled the flywheel off there was Anti-Seize on the threads. Hmmm? For something so crucial on our car I would think to apply some type of Loc-Tite to the threads instead of Anti-seize? But I did rebuild the tranny and install a new clutch about 40,000mi ago and when I pulled the flywheel a few weeks ago it seemed the bolts were still torqued to specifications. At first they were a little firm but loosened up easily (of course). I can't remember the reason why I applied the Anti-Seize the first time but it seems it held.

So what do you guys think? Stick with the Anti-Seize for future work? Or does that sound totally stupid. Do you think I should clean the threads and apply Loc-Tite??

Thanks for the feedback guys! I know it is a really stupid question but I would like a few other opinions before I go with it. Have a good one guys!

Later, B

i just replaced my clutch and had to turn the fly wheel. when i went to take to bolts out the where near hand tight. one i didnt even have to use a ratchet on. i suggest loc tite but its all up to what you prefer.

I think I used red loctite on the flywheel and clutch bolts...it's only been a few weeks, but all the stress makes you forget. :rolleyes:

You can use locktite if you want, but nothing is specified. I use a few drops of 30wt oil as I use on all engine bolts unless sealer is specified. Always torque to spec and replace any bolt that is suspect of being stretched. Anti-seize didn't hurt anything but it wasn't the right thing to use.

I didn't use anything on the flywheel bolts. Shouldn't need to and if you do, something is wrong with either the bolt, or the hole it's threading into. some people use red loc-tite, others use the blue. I wouldn't recommend anti-seize at all.

Personally I apply Anti-seize to all fastener exposed to the elements. My Cougar had to many seized bolts for me not to start this practice. So if its not in the engine or tranny it gets A-S but I would never use Red Loctite and if torqued properly blue is not even needed. Before using loctite I'd use a lock washer.

Personally I apply Anti-seize to all fastener exposed to the elements. My Cougar had to many seized bolts for me not to start this practice. So if its not in the engine or tranny it gets A-S but I would never use Red Loctite and if torqued properly blue is not even needed. Before using loctite I'd use a lock washer.

I too use anti-seize on various bolts and nuts, in particular lug nuts. Only once have I had to take extreme measures to get a lug nut off, never again. I also use it on exhaust nuts and bolts.

Note that lock washers are pretty much useless if there is a concern over vibration backing off a bolt. You can see this at this website where they have tested various bolt locking strategies.
http://www.boltscience.com/pages/helicalspringwashers.htm

Better to use a nylock nut, or use loctite if you feel vibration could cause the bolt to back out.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the ideas! I ended up getting everything cleaned up last night and put blue loc-tite on both the flywheel - motor & pressure plate - flywheel. It is suprising how low the torque spec for the pressure plate is.

One thing I have noticed with anti-seize it that it seems it make the bolts screw in smoother which throws me off, because I am pretty decent at judging where I am at in torque (used to torque bolts as a profession a while back) before getting the torque wrench out and man I go way too far sometimes when I put Anti-Seize on. I have already snapped 2 bolt heads off on the tranny case :rolleyes:!

Have any of you noticed that misprint in the Haynes manaul for the torque spec for the flywheel, it said 54-645.0L. But what I think they meant to say was 54-64 lbs. and then start listing just below that was the torque specs for the 5.0L V8's so that is where I bet the 5.0L came from. So I torqued mine to 62!!

Thanks again guys,
Brandon

Yeah I saw that typo. :p

I may have used blue loctite actually...I don't usually use red unless it something serious...like the driveshaft :rolleyes: I'm a fan of putting antisieze on about everything too..especially any steel bolts into aluminum. I always put it on the exhaust manifold studs too, but it seems like it gets cooked off after awhile.

I make sure the threads are clean and torque them to spec. As dave said a little 30wt wouldn't hurt, but I don't know what that will do to the torque spec.
Alan

I make sure the threads are clean and torque them to spec. As dave said a little 30wt wouldn't hurt, but I don't know what that will do to the torque spec.
Alan

If you use 30wt to achieve same dry torque multiple by .70, according to my reference book
WD-40 is .80

As for Red loc-tite the only time I've used that is on a pneumatic pump diaphragm.

Back