Cant get in my car

m.lee

Hi everybody I have a 1994 SC loaded with every option available in 1994 and have a question no one can seem to answer not even ford.
My battery is dead on my 94 Thunderbird SC and I cannot get into the car.Because of the dead battery the keyless entry button will not work and the combination lock below the door handle will not work (no power).The problem is the key usually used to unlock the door also will not unlock the car,is the key lock also electric?I have noticed when I have used the key before you turn the key in the lock and after a second the lock pops up,like it is electric.It's hard to explain but any other car the lock buttons come further up the further you turn the key but not these.Can you tell me ARE MY DOOR KEY LOCKS ELECTRIC ? My local dealer Wade Ford or the ford website itself does not know.

BTW How much cash did these sell for new at the dealer in 1994. although it's getting to have some problems here and there (hey it;s an older car)I still think it;s one of the coolest designs ford ever came up with for the Thunderbird.

Great to have you here, These cars went for around 30 to 40 in the years they were built. The locks are electric but also can be manually opened with the key. Do you have the trunk key? If so you can go though the trunk and with your car having "every option available" it should have fold down back seats. Not much help but ya never no.

Jerry

I'm trying to remember, we have modified the front of our cars so much--but with long enough arms the hood release can be opened from underneath and then a battery charger or jumper cables used---just find another car to look at the workings of the hood latch to see what you need to do...as a last resort remove the latch bolts from down below.....................Dan

Call road side assistance, if you have that as an option.....:rolleyes:

Or you can call a locksmith to come out and unlock you car.....

It should take a competent locksmith under 5 minutes to get your doors unlocked.....:p

I have road side assistance with my cell phone plan......

Best three bucks I spend each month.....

you should be able to reach up from underneath the front bumper/valence and manually actuate the hood release mechanism. From there you can put a charger on the car and get the electronics back ;)

i'm with the guy on the rear fold down, there is a pull that can be accessed from the trunk area to get into the cabin

to get power without being able to get in, climb under the car to the starter, place a pos power cable to the big wire on the starter and the neg to the frame/ a bolt ext. anything that will ground.

Thank you for all your help,I have tried to crawl under the front air dam.After I found the cable I gave it a good yank but no go on popping the hood.I can open the trunk and yes my rear seat folds down i just need someone slimmer than myself to crawl in and pop my door.If going through the trunk does not work Slowpoke had a good idea by charging the battery through the starter.

However I still think the key locks are electric,niether my or my wife's car keys will open either door.Actually the service person I spoke to at the dealer said they have talked about this point with the ford rep that comes in every now and then.The rep says no way but the techs at the dealer think the key locks may be electric.
All I can say is I'm stumped why my key locks worked before my battery went dead now none of the ways to get in work.

Thank you for all your help,I have tried to crawl under the front air dam.After I found the cable I gave it a good yank but no go on popping the hood.I can open the trunk and yes my rear seat folds down i just need someone slimmer than myself to crawl in and pop my door.If going through the trunk does not work Slowpoke had a good idea by charging the battery through the starter.

However I still think the key locks are electric,niether my or my wife's car keys will open either door.Actually the service person I spoke to at the dealer said they have talked about this point with the ford rep that comes in every now and then.The rep says no way but the techs at the dealer think the key locks may be electric.
All I can say is I'm stumped why my key locks worked before my battery went dead now none of the ways to get in work.

That's where a neighborhood kid would come in handy.

Today 03:09 PM
KMT These cars originally sold for between $21,000 and $27,000 new.

I have my original Sales window sticker and my car was $33,000

Jerry

That's where a neighborhood kid would come in handy.

I have my original Sales window sticker and my car was $33,000

Jerry

keeping in mind that every state is almost like a different country from each other. they all have different cost of living and tax's, what might be only 21k in one state can easily be 33k in another, if in cal it could be 40k easy.

this also means it might be worth a vacation to shop for your next new car in the cheapest state

keeping in mind that every state is almost like a different country from each other. they all have different cost of living and tax's, what might be only 21k in one state can easily be 33k in another, if in cal it could be 40k easy.

this also means it might be worth a vacation to shop for your next new car in the cheapest state

Soo true :)

Jerry

Taxes, registration, etc. may change state-to-state, but OEM sticker price does not. That is uniform across the country. Even the destination charge is level-loaded. That means a customer at the Lorain, OH Ford dealership paid the same transportation charge as the buyer in Dallas, TX, Seattle, WA or anywhere else (in the US).

Can't speak to the 94's, but my 89 stickered for around $23K. I could see a loaded 94 possibly reaching the low $30's, but not much more.

JD

I cant open the door on my 95 with the key either, I have to use keyless entry, the other day I closed the hood by mistake with the battery disconnected and thankfully I have rear fold down, crawled from the trunk and opened the door. not having a working key sucks!

I finally got in my car,well OK to tell the truth my fat behind wasnt even going to try.My wife actually crawled in through the fold down back seat and opened the door.
I dont understand why my key will not open the doors and I have noticed I'm not the only one here. I guess the question remains do the key entry locks need power to work.
Now that I'm in, the next step is charge the battery so i can take the car over to my mechanic,my thermostat is shot.On all the older cars I've had I could always do it myself.The T-bird however has more wires,hoses and is in a bad place for me to do it myself.
At this point the car is old enough I should just get rid of it but i like the body style and interior so much i dont want to let it go.It would be cool if I had a lot of cash to fix it up or either the shows "Overhaul" or "Pimp my ride" would do it for me.

The locks are not electric. Chances are if you don't use the key lock very often it will be stiff and may not work with the key.

Back