What else should I do with the engine out?

gsp393

The plan is to pull the engine from the 90SC and rebuild it. I'm going with Kooks mid-length headers for sure, maybe a chip. What else are some things I could do to gain any more power while I'm there? It's a 5/speed by the way.

For reliability............spark plugs, engine mounts, possibly freeze plugs, seals and gaskets, T-stat, idler pullys. For a start.

Consider cleaning the engine compartment and replacing any worn heat shielding material in there. If you're going to upgrade you might want to add a couple gromets in the fire wall for running a wide band sensor into the passenger side, or one for passing new sensor wires if you are going to add any aftermarket gauges. Thats what I wish I would have considered when I had the engine out.

For the headers, I've seen it suggested that you cut the standard connection off the collector and get a v-band clamp system welded on there to allow for a more leak proof seal to the down tubes, you'll want new exhaust anyway after doing the headers.

I'm going to pressure wash everything and replace anything that needs it. It has Autometer gauges and underdrive pulleys already. Do they come with roller rockers from the factory?

I saw a GrandNational on the road today and remembered it having a smaller V6 turbo. My friends mom had one and OMG it ran like a bat out of hell. Why can't the SC do the same with a supercharger?

I saw a GrandNational on the road today and remembered it having a smaller V6 turbo. My friends mom had one and OMG it ran like a bat out of hell. Why can't the SC do the same with a supercharger?

SC is heavier and has less power stock.
Grand National
3152 lbs
245 HP @ 4400 RPM
355 ft-lbs of torque at 2000 RPM

Tbird SC
3600 lbs
210 @ 4000 RPM
315 ft-lbs at 2600 RPM

Back