It's dead again

Jester

My car died on me about a month ago on I-95. I was traveling at 65 (that's my story and I'm sticking to it), when I pressed down on the gas to change lanes and pass another car, the car started to hesitate like it was running out of gas. I let off and hesitation went away. I hit the gas again and it starts to hesitate and then rips off a big backfire. I hit the clutch and the car stalled out. I let off the clutch to see if it will restart and it does. I hit the gas again and black smoke rolls out of the exhaust and it back fires repeatedly. I pull off the side of the road and try to restart the car to no avail. When I get the car home I check the easiest items first. The fuel shut off switch is not tripped; I add a gallon of fuel to make sure it has fuel. I put the battery charger on to make sure I have at least 12 volts. I pull a plug and I find that I have no spark. Within the last 4k miles I have put on a new cam sensor, crank sensor and I just put on a new ignition coil. The DIS module tested OK and I checked all electrical connections. Does this sound like an EEC problem or my cam and crank sensors? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And when you get through checking everything--replace the IRCM---seems to always be the solution to weird problems....Its not well documented but at least on early models the regulated 5 volts for most of the sensors (MAF,TPS etc) runs through a transistor/regulator on the IRCM---we were on the verge of scrapping a car until we figured that out now its running low 12 sec quarters----we had lots of money in it and couldn't get it out of the driveway until we replaced the IRCM.......................Dan

What is the IRMC? I don't know what that is. Also, what am I checking on the balancer?

Is the elastomer cracked and falling out, can the crank pulley be moved visibly by pushing/pulling side to side, does the reluctor wheel have proper clearance from crank sensor, is the head on the balancer retaining bolt still present ?

David

IRCM - Integrated Relay Control Module.

It has 4 relays inside and some other electronics and can cause numerous issues. It is located in the engine compartment, mounted just ahead of the factory air filter box. It is painted black and should have white with orange letters/numbers on it, with one big connector. It is about 4 inches wide by 5 inches long and about 2 inches thick.

My frist thought after reading this was also the balancer as David Suggested.

I had identical problems when the balancer snout sheered off on the crank.

-Tim

Dave wins the cookie!

The bolt that holds the crank on is sheered off. What is the solution to this problem? Thanks everyone for your help.

The bolt that holds the crank on is sheered off. What is the solution to this problem? Thanks everyone for your help.

I'm getting lazy, here is my how to from a previous thread. I've done this a handful of times on several SC's I've owned.

The best way I've found to removing the broken crank bolt (Last go around was my 3rd time) Use a dremel and they sell a Dremel Bit at Lowe's that is the best $10 I've ever spent - Bit # 9910. It's made of carbide and cuts great.

Just get on the middle of the bolt, and let it do its thing. I usually use WD40 to clean and lubricate the work area for it cuts like no other! The lubrication is used to clear the shaving and to keep the bit from loading up.

Once that is done use an easy out and it will twist out with no hang ups.

At Advance Auto Parts you can buy a Set of Easy Outs...its like a 5 piece set that has 5 different sizes...I beleive the smallest size bit works perfect with the diameter of the hole you drill. Hit it in the hole with a hammer so it locks in and then turn it out with a wrench.

Again 3 times and its worked EVERY TIME. It's slow work, but be paitent and it will work, and will come out.

-Tim

Just so you are clear, the bolt probably didn't fail by itself. The balancer probably failed and took out the bolt. So you will need a new balancer. And if the central part of the balancer broke, you may have some fun getting it off the crank snout.

I hope it goes well for you.

Sounds like fun.

Thanks for the help. I am hoping the balancer is ok, it looks ok and does not look like it is broken but I will check. Thanks for the advice. I will have to get a puller to get it off tomorrow and then I will have a better idea of where to go from there. Thank again.

If the elastrometric material in the balancer failed it could have rotated some and "appear" to be OK when it is not. Replace the balancer as a precaution unless it is already a BHJ unit. The hub of the balancer is keyed to the crankshaft so it should not have spun.

Thanks for the help. I am hoping the balancer is ok, it looks ok and does not look like it is broken but I will check. Thanks for the advice. I will have to get a puller to get it off tomorrow and then I will have a better idea of where to go from there. Thank again.

The balancer is not okay or the bolt would not be broken. Plan to replace it and when you do, be aware that the 4 bolts that hold the crank pulley onto the balancer are not symetrical. One of the bolts is offset a little so that the pully can only be installed in one position. Also pay attention to the length of the pulley mounting bolts. Several people have reported it was necessary to use shorter bolts because of how the replacement balancer was machined.

If you want a balancer that will last, buck up and get the BHJ. If you just want something that will get you back on the road quick, I think a company called Dampner Doctor offers rebuilt units. Just be sure to get a netural/zero balace unit, and not one with a counterweight that many of the 3.8 NA engines use.

David

It's toast

The balancer is broken so the car is done. I need a quick fix to get the car to run for about one minute so I can trade it for the CARS program. Can I pull the broken bolt and put in a new one to make it run?

Last edited:
The balancer is broken so the car is done. I need a quick fix to get the car to run for about one minute so I can trade it for the CARS program. Can I pull the broken bolt and put in a new one to make it run?

I sent you a PM - I have one for $50 in roanoke Va...has 62k on it...thats better than a car payment.

-Tim

Hmm. A broken balancer is not equal to a destroyed car. I don't understand your logic here.

Sell sell sell

I really don't want to get rid of this car but I have to face reality. The car is 20 years old with over 187k miles, it has been totaled once, it is rusting out from the bottom up and it has cost me about $2,000 since I got back in November. I only paid $4,000 for the car in 2000 and I have had a lot of good times in it but the fact is, the car is worth less than $1,000 and I can get $4,500 it I trade it in for the CARS plan. I don't want to see it get crushed but it is more of a liability than an asset right now. The balancer breaking is the icing on the cake.

Well, if it's rusting out, then that's sort of another story. Sorry to hear it.

Hey, if you should happen to come across a boneyard non-SC 3.8 and feel like swapping, you might get some buyers for engine stuff ... :rolleyes:

Parts

I think what I am going to do is offer my car as a parts swap vehicle to those who need parts when I do get rid of it. I will probably offer up parts that will enable the car to still drive at the dealership (I will have it towed there). It will go like this. If you want new tires on good rims, bring me your old ones to put on my car and you can get my good tires (they only have about 4k on them) If you need the VMM trade me your old one and you get my good one. I hate to see the car go to the crusher but it is time and I don't want good parts to go to waste. I will post more details when the time comes for me to get a new car.

Back