93 5spd into 92 AOD info?

charged92

I picked up a 93 SC with a 5spd transmission in it. I picked it up mainly for the interior. I have a 92 SC with an aod in it and I'm considering swapping the 5spd into my 92. Will this be a basic bolt in swap or is there things (ie: wiring) that has to be done to switch from the aod in the 92 to the 5spd from the 93?

I did do a search and found a few things but I wanted to get info on my specific years I guess. Let me know what you think and if you have a link or something to some good info please post it.

**I do have a fresh built motor going into the 92 as well so will it be easier to bolt the motor and 5spd together and put it in that way?

The biggest thing (and hardest) you have to do is drill the holes in the firewall for the slave cylinder and clutch pedal bracket. You can either a) move or completely remove the dashboard or b) use a right angle drill adapter to make the holes (I used the right angle for mine)

I did this in my 92 and its not to hard to do. The firewall is dimpled for where you need to drill and there is a dead plug that you will have to remove to plug in the clutch switch and make sure you switch the wiring harness for the transmission as well. Other wise its pretty self explanatory.

Good luck and have fun.

correct me if im wrong here but doesn't the aod and the m5r2 both have different cams in the engine to determine idle. with no torque converter wont he experience high idle ??

correct me if im wrong here but doesn't the aod and the m5r2 both have different cams in the engine to determine idle. with no torque converter wont he experience high idle ??

I was wondering about cam too but didn't ask as I wasn't sure it was relevant. The new motor has a custom billet cam I bought from Dave D. when he did my heads. He sold me that cam knowing my car was an auto.

The EEC might change the idle speed through the IAC, but I don't see how the cam could. Sometimes you need to increase the idle speed when installing a cam because the engine will not idle smoothly at lower rpms. I'm not sure about the torque converter missing causing idle changes...depends on whether the EEC tells the car to or not. I think I do remember seeing a 5-speed EEC on the list of a 5-speed swap parts - I haven't done it myself. Hock should know. :D:p

I think I do remember seeing a 5-speed EEC on the list of a 5-speed swap parts - I haven't done it myself. Hock should know. :D:p

Yep, you caught me!

If you have the EEC from the 93 then swap it to the 92, THOUGH your SC will run with the auto computer (I did that for over a year until I could locate an EEC that would work in my 92, found out the hard way the one from my 90 was way different). The only issue there is that the vehicle may have tendency to stall while coming to a stop, oh, and the fact that there might be a speed limiter hidden just somewhere north of 120mph. The manual EEC will prevent that from happening and get rid of that annoying speed wall Ford put in there to protect their weak automatic (I know they can be built stronger so please don't flame me).

The most important thing you have to ensure when all is said and done, that you have the proper speedometer gear for the 3.27 gears so that way you know for sure how fast you are going.

Back