Need ABS control module...not master cylinder :(

SCchick3

After purchasing a new master cylinder and installing it, i find out that wasn't my problem. Now i'm stuck with more debt and i find out i need an ABS control module thats mounted in my trunk? If anyone has one and is willing to sell it, please let me know! :)

I have a few....:rolleyes:

Give me your zip code and I'll quote you a price shipped.....

Do you have one off of a '91? I guess this part has to be year specific, or so the dealership tells me, but if you know any different please let me know. Also, did the brakes work properly when it came off the SC? I hope we finally narrowed it down to this!! :D My zipcode is 49341, how much are you willing to sell it for?

I think they are all the same.....

Send me the part number on your ABS computer and I'll match it up to the ones I have on the shelf.....

After purchasing a new master cylinder and installing it, i find out that wasn't my problem. Now i'm stuck with more debt and i find out i need an ABS control module thats mounted in my trunk? If anyone has one and is willing to sell it, please let me know! :)

Before you buy more stuff, Please explain the problem it was having originally.

Before you buy more stuff, Please explain the problem it was having originally.

Alright...i'll try to make the story quick. I was leaking fluid from my proportioning valve. I kept filling the resevoir because i didn't have the time or money to fix it completely and refilling was the easiest way. After replacing the valve, i lost all pressure completely. When i took off my back tires, my rotors weren't being used at all...like big rust build up, so the shop near my house told me it was my master. I guess one of the valves in the master wasn't letting any fluid to the back brakes? Well that was BS but i got a new master anyways. After putting that in, STILL no fluid to the back. Finally gave up and took it to the dealership where they continued to rape me of money and now the electrician says there is power going into my ABS control module, but nothing coming out?....This HAS to be it! I've checked everything else...

Are any of the lights on when you turn the key to the run position (IE brake and/or ABS) (Oh and make sure you have the handbrake off :p )
Have you checked/replaced the ABS pump Relay?
ABS pump fuse?

it's hard to believe that ABS control module has died.. can happen, but very slim..

the Ford mechanic told the previous owner of my '91 SC when he brought it in for no brakes `You need a new Brake Master cylinder which you can not get anymore, so we'll have to source a good used one' Since it did throw a code too saving the `master cylinder' needed to be replaced..
All that was needed was to replace the ABS pump relay, and accumulator and to ground the `master cylinder' No more Codes, and brakes work great..

Finally gave up and took it to the dealership where they continued to rape me of money and now the electrician says there is power going into my ABS control module, but nothing coming out?....This HAS to be it! I've checked everything else...
Nope.. the ABS module/computer has nothing to do with the normal operation of the brakes... Let me say that again... the computer has NOTHING to do with the normal operation of the brakes. :eek: The only thing that it does is monitors the wheels for lockup and when that is detected, it pulls pressure off the line(s) by opening up the "dump" side of the solenoid valve for that particular line.

If you suspect it may be causing the problem by holding the rear dump valve open.. ... simply disconnect it! I've never heard of this happening but there is a .1% chance I suppose that it could. Unplug it by taking the connector off from inside the trunk. If the problem remains, it is not the ABS computer.

BTW, there is a circular push-type locking pin about 1" across holding the package tray up on the LH side. Pull it out about 1/2" and the whole tray will tilt down allowing you to easily access the ABS module.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing.....

In all my years working on these cars, I have yet to run across a bad ABS computer.....(knocks on wood) :p

I am sure your problem is something simple (aren't they all) :rolleyes:

I'm gonna see if i can't find some hoses and bring them to the dealership to have them replaced tomorrow...i just don't understand how it could be a different problem if that was the only thing the mechanics and electrician could find....

Sometimes you have to use some common sense.....:D

I have an SC and an XR-7 that the previous owners had thrown lots of money ($3,200.00 for the XR-7 and $1,100.00 for the SC) into them trying to get them fixed and running.....:rolleyes:

Both owners had these cars at the dealerships multiple times to get them repaired...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Both cars ended up being fairly easy to fix......:cool:

The XR-7 had a blown intake gasket and the SC had a crimped return fuel line when the mechanic got the hose clamp for the fuel filter over the line....

When he tightened the clamp, it cut off the flow of fuel giving us 95 psi at the fuel rail....:eek:

Before you sink anymore money into your car, you need to have your mechanic check for fluid pressure along the brake lines until you find your problem.....

I'm gonna see if i can't find some hoses and bring them to the dealership to have them replaced tomorrow...i just don't understand how it could be a different problem if that was the only thing the mechanics and electrician could find....
OK. :rolleyes: Due to the age of the vehicle, Ford dealerships know next to nothing about the Thunderbird Supercoupe. About the only thing they offer is access to the special tools and they MAY have some old shop manuals sitting around. But... when it comes to your car... they have to learn about it all over again. It might as well be a toyota to them.

However, in this forum, you have owners who do 100% of the maintenance and upkeep on 19 year old daily driven cars with in excess of 250,000 miles on them.

Who do you think will know more about them? :cool:

The part that nobody anywhere can do for you is the learning. The information is here on this site in years old posts; you have to search the old messages and read read read. Now here's another caveat.. not everybody here knows what they're talking about. You'll just have to judge for yourself if you feel that the advice given is sound or just shoot-from-the-hip hearsay help. :D

Have you bled the brakes?

If you have air in the lines, that would also stop the flow of fluid.

Tom

If you have air in the lines, that would also stop the flow of fluid.

Tom

yeahh i tried bleeding them but NOTHIGN comes to the back brakes, even with a power bleeder from a buddy that works at a brake shop...i replaced my rubber hoses and hopefully my ABS control module is on its way :) I HOPE that fixes things...grrrr :mad:

and you DID try to bleed them with the Key on right?

Also i would throw another ground from the ground on the ABS/Master unit to say the battery.. it was an issue on mine, may not be yours, but if you have some 12-10 gauge wire kicking around..... :eek:

and you DID try to bleed them with the Key on right?

Also i would throw another ground from the ground on the ABS/Master unit to say the battery.. it was an issue on mine, may not be yours, but if you have some 12-10 gauge wire kicking around..... :eek:

yup, starting furthest away from the master...still nothing :mad:

Til i can figure this darn thing out, it sits at the dealership... :(

Back