Temp gauge seems to run a little high

johnwartjr

My temp gauge is running a little high. If I run the A/C sitting in a parking lot very long, it starts to creep up. It's not overheating, but a year or two ago, it would run in a parking lot and stay in the middle of the gauge. Now it goes higher.

What should I look at? I hear both fan speeds at KOEO.

Could this potentially be a water pump issue? I've always been told with other cars if the pump wasn't leaking or making a ton of noise, it was fine. Mine isn't leaking, and isn't noisy.

This is a 95 SC Auto, bone stock daily driver, around 140k miles.

My hoses are relatively new on the radiator.
The cooling system has been drained and refilled, as I had the radiator repaired last year when there was a crack on the top radiator cover.

This isn't a huge problem, and we are almost done with the part of the year where I need the A/C, but I do have some extra time right now, so it might not be a bad time to troubleshoot.

first check the bleeder valve for your coolant to make sure you dont have any air in the rad, second would be the fan could be getting worn down. ive already had to replace mine due to it slowing down over the ages.

What is the best system to get to have the fan come on by a temp probe in the radiator. Mine at times wants to go above mid range when setting around in traffic at times , At highway speeds its on the down side of half way. Have a Chin spoiler under the front

Last edited:
when you have the a/c engaged your low side fan should be on. if it is running then try to clean out the fins on your condenser and rad. if still running warm then you need a new rad and/or might have other issues.

note: the a/c will make it run a lil warmer then normal. so long as your not getting over 200f your still going to be ok. a new rad will help insure cooler operating temps. also via a tune you can get the on/off function of the fan modified to what ever temps you want.

when you have the a/c engaged your low side fan should be on. if it is running then try to clean out the fins on your condenser and rad. if still running warm then you need a new rad and/or might have other issues.

note: the a/c will make it run a lil warmer then normal. so long as your not getting over 200f your still going to be ok. a new rad will help insure cooler operating temps. also via a tune you can get the on/off function of the fan modified to what ever temps you want.

Thank you sir for the "nice" input :)

What is the best system to get to have the fan come on by a temp probe in the radiator. Mine at times wants to go above mid range when setting around in traffic at times , At highway speeds its on the down side of half way. Have a Chin spoiler under the front

The best thing you can do, is upgrade to an aluminum radiator like the Griffin. After I started modding my 91, I fought cooling problems for years and changed fan settings, thermostat, air dam and even had the radiator recored with a thicker core. Everything helped a little, but it wasn't until getting the Griffin, that I could drive it in any weather without fear of running too hot.

David

Back