PDA

View Full Version : Hard to shift into 5th and reverse

kylecoz88
08-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Guys, I was driving into work today, I got on it in 3rd up to about 80 getting on the onramp. I go to shift directly into 5th and I hear a grinding noise that has never happened before. I have to FORCE the shifter into position to have 5th gear. I drive the rest of the way into work just fine. I attempt to back the car into "my" parking spot and it is again tough to put the shifter into reverse as well.

Once I actually get the shifter into 5th and reverse, the car drives as usual. It is just positioning the shifer in those spots that has me worried

I have searched and I hope it is a shifter rebuild. Is this the case? At the moment I am freaking out because I just got the car back from paint and the wife will not be happy with this.

Scared,

Kyle

nightcoupe
08-15-2009, 08:21 PM
That's wild. The same thing happen to my car today. Except I cannot get into 5th or reverse at all. I was romping up a hill in 3rd, had to get off of it real fast and then my shifter went nuts. I pulled over and and ran it thru the gears setting there and noticed 5th was not there. I went on home in 4th and then discovered no reverse. I can almost get it to go in reverse but it grinds and spits back out of gear as the clutch is released.

This transmision has had 2nd syncros gone for awhile so its tired... anyway, hope its a shifter deal because I planned on the trans swap after October.

Hock
08-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Is the shifter really sloppy?

If not, go under the car and check and make sure that the bolt the hole the retaining plate for the 5th/Rev adjustment cam is still in place. If it is then loosen the nut for that cam and see if can be adjusted.

Also while your under there check the fluid level.

kylecoz88
08-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Is the shifter really sloppy?

I am not a good judge of this. This is the first stick I have ever owned, and the other stanard trans vehicles I have driven are 1980's trucks.

If not, go under the car and check and make sure that the bolt the hole the retaining plate for the 5th/Rev adjustment cam is still in place. If it is then loosen the nut for that cam and see if can be adjusted.

I have NO clue what I would be looking for under there. I'm a noob! :o

Looks like I will be driving my "Big T" this week. (Taurus)

Hock
08-16-2009, 01:12 PM
I am not a good judge of this. This is the first stick I have ever owned, and the other stanard trans vehicles I have driven are 1980's trucks.

I have NO clue what I would be looking for under there. I'm a noob! :o

Looks like I will be driving my "Big T" this week. (Taurus)

Well, if this shifter has the same amount of slop as those trucks then that's your 1st problem.

I'll try to get my SC on ramps today so I can take some pics of the area I was talking about adjusting.

Ironsam63
08-16-2009, 02:46 PM
I've had my shifter handle come loose before. Check the shifter under the boot or were it goes in the trans. Possibly loose bolts, causing it not going in gear all the way.

kylecoz88
08-18-2009, 04:42 PM
I found something out. Yes my shifter is sloppy. I have never looked this closely before, but as my car is parked and trans is in reverse, I can wiggle the shifter a bit. The most movement is while in 1st and 2nd was a hair under 1/2". other gears are less at 1/8" and 1/4". Do I need ro rebuild? How much does that cost?

Also, I checked the torx bolts on top of the shifter - nice and tight.
I checked the four bolts below the torx. Three of them were tight, and the fourth one was SNAPPED 3/8" below the head. I'm sure that cant be good to keep things working correctlly. That fix is beyond me...

Also note: Putting it into 5th gear has gotter easier , but not cured, the past 2 times I have driven the car. The weird thing is that it is still hard to pull out of 5th (There is a so called "hump" the shifter has to pass before it will slide out of gear... and it clicks while going over the "hump". . Reverse has gotten a lot better going into, and has never had a problem coming out of reverse.

I know when things "fix" themselves that they arent really fixed. So, what now?

Kyle

kylecoz88
05-17-2011, 06:44 PM
I forgot I started the thread and thought I would update: I installed a B&M shifter. No more problems.