PDA

View Full Version : 5.0 mustang vs My sc

SVT_BIRDSC
08-15-2009, 06:54 PM
A guy with a mustang with cold air intake,headers,hpipe.cam,stock heads,gears,5speed.wants to race my sc when im done with it my mods will be,ported heads,ported intake,custom grind cam,stall converted,shift kit,cold air inatake custom raise top,94-95 sc ported,in cooler fan,a meth kit,arp rod bolts and studs,20 percent over drive pulleys,and gears and many more mods should i run him, or not would i win

91SCNORCAL
08-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Your mods are enough to win now hows your reaction time if he gets a jump on you its a lighter car

decipha
08-15-2009, 09:38 PM
well guessing that your referring to a fox body 5.0 hes probably making about 200rwhp with the mods, you'll probably make 270rwhp with that setup

you shouldn't have any trouble, just don't overheat the intercooler, get 'em on a cold night.

mywhite89
08-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Eat that boy for breakfast! Have a double intercooler also.

bowez
08-15-2009, 10:03 PM
FWIW, I don't even have all those to mods and mine can take a 6.3L Hemi Charger so I'd say a basically stock 5.0 Mustang would be a cake walk for you--unless you fall asleep at the light.

bigpoppa822
08-17-2009, 09:14 AM
I ran a 93 LX 5.0 with the B-303 FRPP cam, 3.55s, MAC longtubes and a full exhaust on the highway with 3 other people in my car the way it is set up now and I just completely walked away from him. The look on his face was priceless. You should do just fine.

thunderkid84
08-17-2009, 12:04 PM
That 20% od will prob be too much. U want ur boost to be about 14-15 psi.

slowpoke
08-17-2009, 01:26 PM
FWIW, I don't even have all those to mods and mine can take a 6.3L Hemi Charger so I'd say a basically stock 5.0 Mustang would be a cake walk for you--unless you fall asleep at the light.

my gf's mom has the 300c hemi aswell. its a fast running car but is no mach for my sc. i aslo had fewer mods then you. i think your going to chew him up and spit him out. make sure to put $100 on the race to cover your beer and gas.

slowpoke
08-17-2009, 04:10 PM
That 20% od will prob be too much. U want ur boost to be about 14-15 psi.

that all depends to a degree. he said he's got the 95-96 sc ported. in such case 20% od might be about right for him. it depends on what exhaust he's got to allow all that air to exit aswell. and weather he's got enough fuel flow. me personally im working for 18psi at 4k with my set up. i currently have 14ish at 4k atm with just 10% sc od. im thinking 5-10% on the js should get me to 18. and yes everything else is built up now to take that psi. :)

thunderkid84
08-17-2009, 04:33 PM
that all depends to a degree. he said he's got the 95-96 sc ported. in such case 20% od might be about right for him. it depends on what exhaust he's got to allow all that air to exit aswell. and weather he's got enough fuel flow. me personally im working for 18psi at 4k with my set up. i currently have 14ish at 4k atm with just 10% sc od. im thinking 5-10% on the js should get me to 18. and yes everything else is built up now to take that psi. :)

the late model sc is so much more efficient than the earlier models. i made 17 psi with a 5% on a ported late model and another 5% on the jackshaft. too much for my stock cam. i put an early model pulley on the sc and kept the j/s pulley and now im making about 15 psi.

whats the specs on your cam, SVT_BIRDSC ?? thats what i wanna know

and, do you still have the stock injectors ? if so, you're gonna run out of fuel.

David Neibert
08-17-2009, 05:28 PM

Good luck with that...going from 14 to 18 psi isn't usually that easy. Even with a 10 rib belt, I was smoking the the jackshaft and the blower belt trying to get 18 psi from my MPIII. I was using a 10% JS pulley and a 13% blower pulley.

David

slowpoke
08-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Good luck with that...going from 14 to 18 psi isn't usually that easy. Even with a 10 rib belt, I was smoking the the jackshaft and the blower belt trying to get 18 psi from my MPIII. I was using a 10% JS pulley and a 13% blower pulley.

David

coming from you Dave makes me think maybe its said easier then done. ill have to look into this a lil more and see what all ill really need to make it happen.

btw i did have belt slip already with the 10%, rebuilt all the tension pulleys and it went away. been so long since i did that i forgot to factor in belt slip. if i add a 5% i think i might be pushing it, 10% ill need 10 rib for sure. do they make an after market tension pulley with more tension then stock for these cars?

David Neibert
08-18-2009, 10:52 AM
coming from you Dave makes me think maybe its said easier then done. ill have to look into this a lil more and see what all ill really need to make it happen.

btw i did have belt slip already with the 10%, rebuilt all the tension pulleys and it went away. been so long since i did that i forgot to factor in belt slip. if i add a 5% i think i might be pushing it, 10% ill need 10 rib for sure. do they make an after market tension pulley with more tension then stock for these cars?

What kind of blower are you using and what other mods do you have ? I'm asking because, depending on what mods you have or don't have, overdriving the blower more could actually cause you to lose power.

David

Roadhawg
08-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Good luck with that...going from 14 to 18 psi isn't usually that easy.

I'm making 19.2psi with boost being measured by a 3 bar MAP.

David Neibert
08-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm making 19.2psi with boost being measured by a 3 bar MAP.

What blower are you using ?

David

Roadhawg
08-18-2009, 12:39 PM
what blower are you using ?

David

mpx 25% od

David Neibert
08-18-2009, 03:16 PM
mpx 25% od

Based on this post, I'm assuming slowpoke has a stock early model blower, plenum, throttle body and intercooler with stock heads and cam.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=824403&postcount=1

That being the case I don't think he's going to make anymore power by trying to spin the blower faster. A ported late model blower would be a big improvement, but overdriving the stock early model anymore than it takes to produce 14 psi is not going to yeild positive results.

David

slowpoke
08-18-2009, 04:19 PM
yes my blower, plenum, tb, and ic are all stock. i do have some head work done. i plan on getting to raised sc top, 70mm tb and maf, would like to get the underdrive pulleys but i also have a huge stereo system in it so i need the charging power. got full custom exhaust done.after all that is acquired i intend to get the psi up as much as i can with either or both js/crank od pulleys. correct me if im wrong, ill need to get a bigger or duel ic? and possible porting of the sc and plenum.

thunderkid84
08-18-2009, 10:44 PM
yes my blower, plenum, tb, and ic are all stock. i do have some head work done. i plan on getting to raised sc top, 70mm tb and maf, would like to get the underdrive pulleys but i also have a huge stereo system in it so i need the charging power. got full custom exhaust done.after all that is acquired i intend to get the psi up as much as i can with either or both js/crank od pulleys. correct me if im wrong, ill need to get a bigger or duel ic? and possible porting of the sc and plenum.

forget about the raised top. and add fuel injectors and fuel pump to your list plus a tune.

unless you really love your early model do what Dave said and get a late model blower.

all that is acquired i intend to get the psi up as much as i can with either or both js/crank od pulleys.

going by this statement, i hope you know overdriving the crap out of your blower does not make hp and torque. because you'll make more heat than your intercooler can remove and then you'll pull timing and eventually detonate. and then.....booom !

slowpoke
08-19-2009, 12:25 AM
i do somewhat like the m90. got one in a box rebuilt and ported atm, and 1 on a parts car that i just got in :)

thunderkid84
08-19-2009, 01:37 AM
i do somewhat like the m90. got one in a box rebuilt and ported atm, and 1 on a parts car that i just got in :)

Both early models ?

slowpoke
08-20-2009, 02:03 AM
technically i got 3 and yes all early models.
1rst on parts car
2nd in box rebuilt
3rd on my daily driver

MustangJake88
08-20-2009, 09:16 PM
A guy with a mustang with cold air intake,headers,hpipe.cam,stock heads,gears,5speed.wants to race my sc when im done with it my mods will be,ported heads,ported intake,custom grind cam,stall converted,shift kit,cold air inatake custom raise top,94-95 sc ported,in cooler fan,a meth kit,arp rod bolts and studs,20 percent over drive pulleys,and gears and many more mods should i run him, or not would i win
With those mods on that car, he should be running maybe around 200-210 horse to the wheels. He has factory E7 heads and those things are pretty much boat anchors. With what you have done, you should be able to dogwalk him. Hell, even if you had half of what you had done, you would still beat him. He's probably thinking he's going to school you because he has a V8 and you have a V6. All of the 5-liter guys I know are giving me a bunch of crap for selling my '90 5.0 vert and buying an '89 SC. I keep telling them to wait and see what happens when I get my SC running ;)

slowpoke
08-21-2009, 01:04 AM
With those mods on that car, he should be running maybe around 200-210 horse to the wheels. He has factory E7 heads and those things are pretty much boat anchors. With what you have done, you should be able to dogwalk him. Hell, even if you had half of what you had done, you would still beat him. He's probably thinking he's going to school you because he has a V8 and you have a V6. All of the 5-liter guys I know are giving me a bunch of crap for selling my '90 5.0 vert and buying an '89 SC. I keep telling them to wait and see what happens when I get my SC running ;)

i used to be one of those v8 guys. had a t-bird sc wipe me without trying about 7 years ago when i had me 92 t-bird sport(5.0) . that made a believer out of me. 2 years ago got my first sc and been loving it since.

David Neibert
08-21-2009, 10:35 AM
technically i got 3 and yes all early models.
1rst on parts car
2nd in box rebuilt
3rd on my daily driver

Trade or sell all of them for a ported late model or an MPII. Then get an MP inlet plenum. Upgrade the other stuff later.

David

slowpoke
08-21-2009, 01:37 PM
heh anyone want to trade lol :)

thunderkid84
08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
whers the guy that made this thread ?

he hasnt answered any of the questions we've asked him and its gone way off topic :confused:

slowpoke
08-21-2009, 10:37 PM
its become the(lets get together and chat) thread :)

thunderkid84
08-21-2009, 11:50 PM
its become the(lets get together and chat) thread :)

Ya that's usually what happens with "one post wonders"

91BLOWNBIRD
08-22-2009, 11:47 PM
I'll never forget, my best friend's family is all about ford, and his dad worked at the Milpitas Factory in CA for a while until it closed. They've had everything from 65 falcons pushing 500hp to 2004 expeditions. When I was getting ready to buy my SC they told me not to let it fool me cause it would easily smoke their 90 5.O GT. So when I got it we raced and I toasted the mustang stock against stock...sleepers are fun :)

Ah the good old days...it seems that no one is willing to go 1 on 1 randomly on the streets anymore.