Motor Mounts Again????

Jimmy 2Coupes

SCCoA Member
Has anyone broke a solid motor mount with the steel casing from SuperCoupe Performance? I haven't had a chance to get a good look yet but I'm starting to suspect I may have broke one again. They were installed four or five years ago and I'm starting to get some of the same symptoms I got when I've had broken M M's in the past.

I've torn 2 sets of solid rubber mounts. My motor mounts even have modified travel limiters. They just don't stand up.

Has anyone broke a solid motor mount with the steel casing from SuperCoupe Performance? I haven't had a chance to get a good look yet but I'm starting to suspect I may have broke one again. They were installed four or five years ago and I'm starting to get some of the same symptoms I got when I've had broken M M's in the past.

Jimmy,

I'm still using the same set of steel cased mounts I bought from Bill E. at the 2003 Shootout. I had a torque strap holding the driver's side of the motor down, up until installing the long tube headers in 2008. Haven't really raced the car much since deleting the torque strap, but the mounts were fine when installing the new 4.3 motor a few months ago.

David

Can someone describe the symptoms of a broken motor mount? I think I might have one. The car will shudder sometimes at idle and when I'm driving it hard in the first 2 gears if I depress the clutch to either slow down or shift the car goes BANG!, so violently I sometimes miss the shift.

Can someone describe the symptoms of a broken motor mount? I think I might have one. The car will shudder sometimes at idle and when I'm driving it hard in the first 2 gears if I depress the clutch to either slow down or shift the car goes BANG!, so violently I sometimes miss the shift.

Just use the ebrake and try to slowly drive the car from a standstand (don't actually drive...). Have someone look at the motor with the hood open. If it has excess movement when you're trying to take off, then chances are they are shot. Or, you could just take a look at them.

I recently removed a set of solid mm's that I installed in about 2004 - they were starting to separate. Motor was stock with a 5-speed, daily driven. I'm not sure what is meant by "steel cased" mounts, but mine are the "solid rubber" style.

Back