Recent transmission problems?!

Mitch Z

Automatic 1992 Thunderbird SC.

In the last few weeks my car has be acting really weird if I try and floor it... As soon as I punch it the car shutters and the rpm goes crazy and the car doesnt even try and accelerate but at higher RPMs, its A BIT less of a problem - but it will still bounce the RPM's.

If I try to go up steep hills at about 40-50 km/h, the car goes to around 1100 rpms and barely makes it up the hill. - because if I give it more gas, the RPMs would go crazy and sometimes stall.
When I first got the car, going up the same hill with same throttle, it would go to around 1100 rpms and boost 5-7lbs. (I don't know if the problem existed back then though, however there was no boosting problems)

If I put the car in "1", it seems a lot more stable and boost up to 7 psi.... I'm pretty sure it was still making the RPMs go crazy a bit after 2500 RPMs.

I'm not sure what is going on with the boost gauge either. It sits at -1 or -2 VAC and goes up to about 0 psi when I drive it lightly, 2-3 psi when it stumbles. I don't know if this is a related problem or not. I usually watch the boost gauge to prevent it from stumbling going uphills, I don't let it go over 0lbs or it will stumble.

I've replaced:
-The DIS Module
-Spark plugs and wires
-New ignition coil

Last edited:
its possible for the gauge that you might have a vacuum leak, i have a manual tranny so im not sure about this but your tranny might shift due to vacuum. in such case a vacuum leak could cause the tranny to act up. just a thought.

Automatic 1992 Thunderbird SC.

In the last few weeks my car has be acting really weird if I try and floor it... As soon as I punch it the car shutters and the rpm goes crazy and the car doesnt even try and accelerate but at higher RPMs, its A BIT less of a problem - but it will still bounce the RPM's.

If I try to go up steep hills at about 40-50 km/h, the car goes to around 1100 rpms and barely makes it up the hill. - because if I give it more gas, the RPMs would go crazy and sometimes stall.
When I first got the car, going up the same hill with same throttle, it would go to around 1100 rpms and boost 5-7lbs. (I don't know if the problem existed back then though, however there was no boosting problems)

If I put the car in "1", it seems a lot more stable and boost up to 7 psi.... I'm pretty sure it was still making the RPMs go crazy a bit after 2500 RPMs.

I'm not sure what is going on with the boost gauge either. It sits at -1 or -2 VAC and goes up to about 0 psi when I drive it lightly, 2-3 psi when it stumbles. I don't know if this is a related problem or not. I usually watch the boost gauge to prevent it from stumbling going uphills, I don't let it go over 0lbs or it will stumble.

I've replaced:
-The DIS Module
-Spark plugs and wires
-New ignition coil

Sounds like an ignition or fuel delivery problem.

David

It turns out that a local parts store gave me a faulty DIS.
I returned it, put the old one back in (which still has intermittent problems, but made the car run perfectly) and I'm going to buy a new motorcraft one.

Thanks David

Back