PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Balancer Help?

2manycars
08-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I recently purchased a 1991 T-Bird SC automatic with a 65k mile engine and brand new trans with a shift kit. When I purchased the car, I noticed that the crank pulley had a decent dent on the outer retainer ridge (the raised outer part that keeps the belt on). After a month of driving her and dropping about a grand into her, the car simply stopped running. I was told that it was the crank position sensor, then after purchasing it, and tearing the car apart to replace it, the OEM aluminum/cast iron harmonic balancer fell off into my hand... the hub had sheared off and left a chunk of aluminum in my crank. :mad:

1. What is the easiest way to extract the aluminum from the crank?
2. What aftermarket HB would best to replace it? I won't go stock again!!! (Price range, <$400)

I've looked into the BHJ Billet Steel one, and was going to purchase it, but found a TCI "Elastomer" HB for around the same price... The car is going to be turned into a modified street/drift car (more details on the build later!!!)

Any advice or alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind my $400 dollar budget. Thanks!!!

David Neibert
08-18-2009, 03:21 PM
As far as I know BHJ is the only aftermarket balancer made for an SC. Do you have a link to the TCI balancer.

If you pop the seal out of the timing cover you should be able to get a hold of the broken portion and remove it from the crank. Search "balancer" for more post on the topic and ideas for removing the broken portion.

David