No tach

kenewagner

Went to start the car this evening. Battery was a little low due to not enough driving. Engine turned over but no fire and finally the battery quit on me. Put the charger on boost and got it started but now has no tach function and sounds like it running on 5 cylinders. Its late and have no time to work on it tonight. I know I had problems before with a low battery and running like crap. Hope I didnt foul some plugs while trying to get it started, those 60 lb injectors can dump a lot of gas into the cylinders when theres no fire. Anyway need some imput on the no tach problem

Ken

Went to start the car this evening. Battery was a little low due to not enough driving. Engine turned over but no fire and finally the battery quit on me. Put the charger on boost and got it started but now has no tach function and sounds like it running on 5 cylinders. Its late and have no time to work on it tonight. I know I had problems before with a low battery and running like crap. Hope I didnt foul some plugs while trying to get it started, those 60 lb injectors can dump a lot of gas into the cylinders when theres no fire. Anyway need some imput on the no tach problem

Ken

Ken,

I'd start with changing the Cam Position Sensor. Are you getting any check engine lights ?

David

Went to start the car this evening. Battery was a little low due to not enough driving. Engine turned over but no fire and finally the battery quit on me. Put the charger on boost and got it started but now has no tach function and sounds like it running on 5 cylinders. Its late and have no time to work on it tonight. I know I had problems before with a low battery and running like crap. Hope I didnt foul some plugs while trying to get it started, those 60 lb injectors can dump a lot of gas into the cylinders when theres no fire. Anyway need some input on the no tach problem

Ken

If the battery voltage is too low, it may not excite the alternator when the car starts even though it may have enough to turn the starter, and fire the motor. If the car starts but the alt isn't charging I would imagine all sorts of stuff might not work. Gotta get more than 11v into that battery so the alt will run.

If the battery voltage is too low, it may not excite the alternator when the car starts even though it may have enough to turn the starter, and fire the motor. If the car starts but the alt isn't charging I would imagine all sorts of stuff might not work. Gotta get more than 11v into that battery so the alt will run.

Isnt that interesting, I charged the battery up and the car started the first twist of the key. Tach works. Guess I will remember that for the future. Thanks all

Ken

Isnt that interesting, I charged the battery up and the car started the first twist of the key. Tach works. Guess I will remember that for the future. Thanks all

Ken

Yeah, the SC electronics will shockingly keep the car running with a pretty low battery voltage. I know the Lincoln Mark VIII will not even run if battery voltage drops below something like 11.5v.

Back