Broken Balancer

Jester

How do I remove the broken part of the balancer from the crank? I searched a little in the technical forum but came up with nothing. Any help would be appreciated. What year balancer can I use on my 89 5 speed. I just need it for a few more months. Thanks

The method I have seen recommended is to drill a few small holes in the remaining part of the balancer. Then you can thread in some self-tapping screws and use their heads to pry the remaining chunk out. Good luck!

Bhj

I don't want to spend the money. All I need the car to do is make it to a dealership. Does anyone in the Fredericksburg or Quantico area have a used one for sale?

I don't want to spend the money. All I need the car to do is make it to a dealership. Does anyone in the Fredericksburg or Quantico area have a used one for sale?

In your previous thread and even thru PMs I informed you $50 plus shipping and the balancer is yours.

Again I'm in Roanoke VA...let me know.

-Tim

Removal

Tim, can you pm me your info. is there any other way of getting this broken piece off? I am trying the screws and it is not budging.

How do I remove the broken part of the balancer from the crank?
I used a drill to break it down until it fell off:

Harmonic_Balancer_002.JPG

Harmonic_Balancer_005.JPG

Harmonic_Balancer_006.JPG

Harmonic_Balancer_007.JPG

Harmonic_Balancer_008.JPG

You need time and patience.

Nice!!

I started to drill out the remaining piece but the battery in my drill did not have enough juice to finish so I will have to do it later tonight. Thanks to all who have given me hints, tips and advice.

SUPERCB you are the man!

I drilled two holes on both sides and it snapped right off when I gave it a little torque with a screwdriver. Thanks for the info. I would suggest this to anyone who has this problem. I started with a small bit and got as close to the center of the collar as I could and then just stepped it up in bit size till it looked like I was finished, then I took a screw driver and twisted in the hole and it snapped the outer steel sleeve. I then just pulled it out and I was done. Thanks again everyone.

Back