Towing my 90' Super Coupe

Ryan Howard

Hey guys,

Quick question regarding a 1,600 mile tow. I'm debating on using a 2-wheel dolly, disconnecting the drive shaft and all that. Is there still a possibility of damage to the differential, and would you recommend spending the extra cash and getting a flatbed trailer, or do you think it would be ok on the 2 wheel dolly with the driveshaft disconnected with the rear wheels on the ground? Thanks for advice

Ryan

Obviously a flatbed is better. As far as removing the driveshaft. There is nothing wrong with that. The differential is still sealed and no damage will occur....Im assuming its an Automatic. You can leave it in and just tow it in nuetral with a 5 speed.

Last edited:
Yeah .. if its an auto and you remove the driveshaft, make sure you plug up the tail shaft so you dont dump out too much transmission fluid.

- Dan

i have a buddy that has a moving company. WE HAUL (so U don't have to). he says the gas millage is better if you use the trailer, enough to make up for the extra cost on average. plus you will still have that millage on your tires, seals, gears, ext. i would just use a trailer if it was me :)

Good luck with removing the driveshaft. Its a major pain. However, if you simply disconnect it from the diff and tie it back, you'll be fine.

youll need this
PB_Blaster.jpg

why not just back it onto the dolly and tow it backwards---the steering column locks so there isn't a problem doing that?...........dan

Hey guys,

Quick question regarding a 1,600 mile tow. I'm debating on using a 2-wheel dolly, disconnecting the drive shaft and all that. Is there still a possibility of damage to the differential, and would you recommend spending the extra cash and getting a flatbed trailer, or do you think it would be ok on the 2 wheel dolly with the driveshaft disconnected with the rear wheels on the ground? Thanks for advice

Ryan

Ryan,

After you see how much work is involved in removing the driveshaft, you will kick yourself for not getting the flatbed trailer.

David

why not just back it onto the dolly and tow it backwards---the steering column locks so there isn't a problem doing that?...........dan

Towing an SC backwards will result in a very interesting drive.....:rolleyes:

At speeds above 50 - 60 mph, the front of the SC wile swerve back and forth, getting worse by the second.....:eek:

The only way to stop it is to slow down to 35 - 40 mph.....

It will make a 1,600 mile trip feel like a 3,200 mile trip.....:p

Towing an SC backwards will result in a very interesting drive.....:rolleyes:

At speeds above 50 - 60 mph, the front of the SC wile swerve back and forth, getting worse by the second.....:eek:

The only way to stop it is to slow down to 35 - 40 mph.....

It will make a 1,600 mile trip feel like a 3,200 mile trip.....:p

towing anything 1600 miles will seem like 3200 miles. I wouldn't use a dolly for anything but short hauls anyway, but I've towed several cars backwards with no ill effects---must have been lucky, I guess..............Dan

Last edited:
I towed my 89 auto from Charlotte, NC to Ohio for the 2006 shoot out.....

I could get up to 70 mph, but if I was passing a truck, or a truck was passing me, the car would sway from side to side almost to the point where I felt like we were going to jack knife.....:eek:

Every car that I have towed with the rear wheels on the dolly has done that no matter what model....:confused:

I can only conclude that it has something to do with the way the wheels lock at a slight angle....

I towed a 95 SC and it behaved perfect on the dolly....

The front wheels can be locked in a straight line.....:)

All of the 5 speed SCs gave me no problems, even at speeds in excess of 80 mph....

I tried that

When I was backing my car up the dolly, ripped part of my bumper off:rolleyes: and my car isn't lowered, so Id be careful if you choose to go that route.

Tom

I use a pair 2 x 12s to make a ramp when pulling an SC up onto my dolly....:cool:

I was backing one of my auto SCs up the ramps and goosed the throttle to get the tires up into the dolly.....

The torque spun the tires and shot the ramps off the dolly....:rolleyes:

The rear bumper cover got caught on the edge of the dolly...

It didn't do any damage, but it did crack the paint and I lost a portion of paint about the size of my hand....:mad:

I would also use a trailer if it was me. thats a pretty long trip for hauling. With a dolly I would constantly be worried. At least with the trailer I would only worry part of the time, lol :)

I towed my 89 auto from Charlotte, NC to Ohio for the 2006 shoot out.....

I could get up to 70 mph, but if I was passing a truck, or a truck was passing me, the car would sway from side to side almost to the point where I felt like we were going to jack knife.....:eek:

Every car that I have towed with the rear wheels on the dolly has done that no matter what model....:confused:

I can only conclude that it has something to do with the way the wheels lock at a slight angle....

I towed a 95 SC and it behaved perfect on the dolly....

The front wheels can be locked in a straight line.....:)

All of the 5 speed SCs gave me no problems, even at speeds in excess of 80 mph....

It might be because the major part of the weight isn't on the dolly---kind of the tail wagging the dog---that can happen with a trailer too if you get the weight unbalanced----I'd guess that loading the trunk with tool boxes and stuff might have helped me in the past............Dan

My vote is for the flatbed

I have towed with both and I like the flat bed the best. Another option is to ship the car and save the hassle. Take into consideration the gas used towing and the cost of the trailer.

Another option is to ship the car and save the hassle.
If it means anything to you, never have it shipped. Most shippers don't give a crap about some old car and will don't care if they tear it up to get the job done. Then of course, they just deny that they had aything to do with it and you're screwed. The additional cost of equipment and fuel is worth it in the long run to be sure it arrives in good shape. :cool:

Got a goose neck trailer that will hold 2 cars if need be; rarely used due to the huge turns it requires. I also prefer a trailer with electric brakes vs a dolly that only adds to the inertia to be stopped by YOUR brakes.

Back