PDA

View Full Version : Damn Supercoupe

nickleman60
08-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Well I've spent the better part of the last 2 days removing and installing a different 4r70w with a shift kit( I was told from the seller) and my old TQ out of my black '94 into the opal frost '94 since the one in there had TQ shutter bad and shifted funny probably because of the '96 valve body. I get everything done today and take it for a spin around the block to see how it shifts, seemed fine so when I pull back in the driveway I then notice the temp. gauge is way high. I open the hood and I see a good stream of water shooting through the radiator fan. After a few #%&*+ words, I head inside to cool off more ways than one. I do have a spare rad. so once the sun goes in a little I'll change it. I installed a new rearend pinion seal that was leaking and also put the flowmaster exhaust on it from the '89, I did have to cut the pipe between the resonator and rearend because of the different tank styles so I'll get Oceana muffler to button it up for me tomorrow. I always like the sound better on the '89 than the sound of the true duals on the opal frost car.

James, you can pick up the exhaust out of the '94 whenever you're ready.

JACTcoupe
08-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Sweet!!! I will be by in the next week or so. After I get back form Nags Head My work hour are a lil crazy(with school starting soon and all), But as soon as i get the chance I will let you know.
Im sorry to hear about the car. You just can't get a brake can you? Hey Just a thought, You put the exhaust from the 89 on the opal car right? Well now its overheating maybe the exhaust is clogged up a bit.. Causing a lil back-pressure making the car heat more then normal. And if you have weak rad or something it mite cause your temp to run up quick... Again just a thought..

frdlvr30
08-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Im assuming we are talking about the Opal Frost car leaking. Not the the Stealth?

nickleman60
08-20-2009, 06:19 PM
just a thought, You put the exhaust from the 89 on the opal car right? Well now its overheating maybe the exhaust is clogged up a bit.. Causing a lil back-pressure making the car heat more then normal. And if you have weak rad or something it mite cause your temp to run up quick... Again just a thought..

That isn't it, I said the rad had a hole in it plus right now the exhaust is just cat-less downtubes and a flowmaster resonator with a 4' gap to the start of the tailpipes, about as freeflowing as you can get. I'll have the muffler shop bend and weld a pipe in between the resonator and tailpipe tomorrow. Put the back up rad in and everything seems well....................:D

Duffy Floyd
08-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Just as a note....Lou Williams was experiencing TQ shutter in his 94 4.6L Super Coupe and was able to solve it with a fluid change to a special fluid combination recommended by a transmission shop in MI. Apparently these early 4R70W trans were subject to TQ shutter and required a change in the TQ in the later years of the Mark VIII's to solve the issue at the factory. I can try to get details from Lou if you are interested.

JACTcoupe
08-20-2009, 06:55 PM
That isn't it, I said the rad had a hole in it plus right now the exhaust is just cat-less downtubes and a flowmaster resonator with a 4' gap to the start of the tailpipes, about as freeflowing as you can get. I'll have the muffler shop bend and weld a pipe in between the resonator and tailpipe tomorrow. Put the back up rad in and everything seems well....................:D
LOL ok, well just got to have her running for the 18th!!! You are coming right?

frdlvr30
08-20-2009, 06:56 PM
They all required TQ change if they were under 25k miles. If they were over that we had to just change the filter and all 14qrts. Per warranty instructions(TSB's) from Ford. Not just the Mk 8's. Crown Vic's, Marquis's, T-bird's, Town cars, etc.... We were some convertor swapping fools in the Mid 90's.

whiplash15
08-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Hey Duffy, I've owned a pot full of Mark VIII's, and the guys over on LOD say
to go with "true" Mercon 5. Thats all I've ever used even in my 94SC.

frdlvr30
08-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey Duffy, I've owned a pot full of Mark VIII's, and the guys over on LOD say
to go with "true" Mercon 5. Thats all I've ever used even in my 94SC.

That is true. TQ shutter is one of the reasons MERCON V was developed....

nickleman60
08-20-2009, 07:38 PM
That is true. TQ shutter is one of the reasons MERCON V was developed....

I was running Mercon V but the shudder was still there, pretty bad too. When my friend rebuilt the trans. a couple of years ago, John Boardman, it had a little shudder so he said to change the fluid to Mercon V which we did, it worked for a while but the shudder steadily got worse. I had bought the current 4r70w to go in the beer promo car but decided to use it in the opal frost car instead because it has a shift kit along with my old stock TQ I removed from my black car, which worked fine and no shudder, while doing the performance build. Once I get the exhaust completed then I'll really be able to see how it shifts and drives.

James, I should be good for the 18th, hopefully this car with the different trans. and TQ will run better than a 9.45 in the 1/8 mile.

mcate
08-21-2009, 06:46 AM
When I bought that red 96 LX it had shudder bad. The TSB said to change to Mercon V & there was also a programming update. John B. took care of that when he worked at Kimnach.

nickleman60
08-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Got the exhaust done this morning and I've got to say it sounds much more to my liking. I got on it a little and the trans. seems to shift firm and fast. Other changes I made were I installed the ZR Motorsports 3" cai and aluminum underdrive pullies off of the '89, feels and sounds like a new car...........:D

JACTcoupe
08-21-2009, 02:25 PM
nice, thank you can top the 9.4?

nickleman60
08-21-2009, 04:29 PM
nice, thank you can top the 9.4?

I hope so, I should pick up a little since it'll shift correctly and at the rpm I wanted plus picking up a few ponies with the underdrives.

frdlvr30
08-21-2009, 04:38 PM
If you were as good of a driver as me, you could get a 9.1 out of your bone stock car. Like I did.....:rolleyes:
And I also think that if we are taking that Black car across country, you need to take that to the track and let the fur fly. If its going to break, we need to do so here....so we can fix it and go.....

JACTcoupe
08-21-2009, 04:57 PM
If you were as good of a driver as me, you could get a 9.1 out of your bone stock car. Like I did.....:rolleyes:
And I also think that if we are taking that Black car across country, you need to take that to the track and let the fur fly. If its going to break, we need to do so here....so we can fix it and go.....

He has a point and It would be awesome to see the black bird running down the track!!!! lol I like to thank I'm a good driver. But more of road course kind of guy. Im new to the drag racing. And I must say there is alot more to it then I thought

nickleman60
08-21-2009, 05:10 PM

In the next couple of days I'll start the process of changing the flywheel and TQ. I'm also going to stick the 3.73 trac loc that you put together in it since it seems stronger and fresher than the one I have in it now. I need to install my nitrous bottle blow down tube while I'm at it.

frdlvr30
08-21-2009, 07:14 PM
That was a joke James. A monkey can get a decent time out of a stock powered Auto with a little practice......

Roadhawg
08-21-2009, 07:22 PM
That was a joke James. A monkey can get a decent time out of a stock powered Auto with a little practice......

I believe I finally got my car to stick, so I will be a Monkey with an Auto also.

frdlvr30
08-21-2009, 07:35 PM
...stock powered Auto with a little practice......

Please read this again...Most specifically the first word in the text.

Roadhawg
08-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Please read this again...Most specifically the first word in the text.

I know you where joking and the drag strip is a whole lot more friendly if you are not rowing through the gears.

JACTcoupe
08-22-2009, 07:26 AM
I have never run an auto down the track. But Trying to find that sweet spot in the clutch and make sure you don't miss a gear. Takes practice