Trac-Lox diff?

rad70

I want to change oil in my 90 SC auto diff, but I can't figure out if it has Trac-lox or not. I think it's stock but there is no tag and Ford here can only go back to 91 with the S#. The pillar sticker says axle code E. Any help would be appreciated.

Only SC's came with trac-lok units. So if you're talking about a stock SC then you got one. You'll need gear oil, friction modifier, and a cover seal.

Only SC's came with trac-lok units. So if you're talking about a stock SC then you got one. You'll need gear oil, friction modifier, and a cover seal.

almost only sc's. the sport models with 3.08's like the rear end i got in my sc now where also trac-lok . Z is the code for the sport rear end. they had auto's only so really not a good gear for them but works well in the sc. i think M is for the 2.73's. E is for the 3.27's only found in the auto sc version of t-birds. btw all of which can be moved from t-bird to t-bird easily.

94/95 SC auto's came with an open differential, they had this "great idea" called traction assist.

Last edited:
I have traction assist on my 96, Its a irritating lil tool. brakes ingage to slow tire spin.... hey I like tire spin when I want lol I was always disengaging it

You may or may not need limited slip friction modifier additive depending on what gear oil you use. I made that mistake, used Mobil 1 75w-90 as Mobil 1 gear oil is one of the best, and I added 4oz of friction modifier only to find out later that the LS on the Mobil 1 bottle means it already has it. Doh! Oh well usually too much FM isn't bad, just makes the clutch packs less grippy, mine still leaves 2 rubber patches, so I'm not complaining.

Back