3.27 vs 3.45 or 3.55

slowpoke

im told that the 3.27's make 1rst almost useless. in such case is it bad enough to warrant 3.45 or 3.55 which ever i might be able to find?

only asking due to i have a 3.27, just trying to find out if it'll be a fun rear end or will i be wasting my time.

I have 3:27's in mine (5-speed) and 1st really is useless. I could say it is or was fun but the novelty doesnt last long. Forget about hooking up, its a complete waste of time. My car doesnt have any HP and it annihilates the tires in 1st and 2nd.

The only real benefit I like is the cruising at highway speeds and not worrying about downshifting to move.

With the 3.27's I have to shift before I even cross an intersection from a red light. However, you can take off from second gear too. Flooring it in first is a blast if the car hooks up (mine does once in a while) and second pulls very hard as well. Highway cruising you will lose some mpg. I'm torn between whether I like the 3.27s or the 2.73s more.

i went from 2.73's to 3.27's its was fun for a while but first gear goes by too fast. i now have 3.08's and am very pleased with them. I would recommend 3.08's.

i got the new 3.27's already just trying to decide if maybe i would want to go with 3.45 or 3.55. from the sounds of it 1rst is already wiped with the 3.27 so im thinking of the 3.55's. hence i would have to get the 3.55's.

apparently this wasn't a thread asking for advice, it was just to tell us that you want to put in too steep of a gear for the car....i would not recommend going over 3.27

in such case ill probably stick with the 3.08's and keep the 3.27s just incase i blow a rear end. ty

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm getting the impression you think that if 1st gear is useless with 3.27s, then 3.55 will make it better. That will make it worse.

My 94 5spd has 3.55s (were installed by prior owner)....1st gear is worthless, 2nd gear from a roll will break the wheels loose and is pretty much usless. 3rd gear up is fun and quiet peppy. The torque side of things is fun but it's a lot more shifting.

It's not extremely streetable, and would probably really stink in stop and go traffic, I live in the sticks so don't have to worry about that myself.

-Tim

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm getting the impression you think that if 1st gear is useless with 3.27s, then 3.55 will make it better. That will make it worse.

not at all. im thinking if 1rst becomes useless then why not just go up to 3.55 and have some real fun. thus maybe making 2nd more like a 1rst

if u want a 4 speed, go put a 4 speed in. LOL

i have 2.73 in mine and 1st gear has plenty of pull for me at 14 psi. not tire shredding, just gets up and goes.

i just dont see the point in putting lower gears in so you can just eliminate a whole gear. it just sound pointless and retarded. :rolleyes:

Back