Broken trans mount cause bad shifting?

blksc

Just bought a 95 5spd SC and when i get on the gas I feel as though the shifter gets really "clunky" its hard to find the gears and it just doesnt feel like it shifts very well.

I just bought the car and havent put it on jackstands yet to inspect the mount, but can a bad mount cause that? i also get a bit of clunking/thud when I let off the clutch to engage the new gear. Feels like something is loose under there..

thanks.

That can happen, the shifter attaches to the transmission and the transmission is moving around. Pilot bearings usually are the first thing to cause that however. I like to replace them with bronze bushings.
Alan

Pilot bearings huh?

Hey Alan,

What are pilot bushings and is it something I can replace without having to drop the trans? Im going to replace the broken mount because i know its trashed.

I have read these transmissions dont usually shift very smoothly.. they are what they are.. truck transmissions in a sport sedan. Feels like im throwing around a 20lb dumbbell everytime i shift.

Just googled pilot bearings and I didnt see any information that might say that the pilot bearing is responsible for the shifting getting sloppy once the engine is dancing around under my right foot. Gonna just fix the mount and go from there. Might do fluid change..

Last edited:
Well the pilot bearing is in the back of the crank, you definately need the trans out to replace it. The bushing is a bronze piece the size of the bearing. GM liked to use them on many applications. THe advantage is that they don't blow up and waste your input shaft. They aren't as "efficient" as a bearing however.
Alan

I put the car on jackstands and used a pry bar to push up on the tranny and it moved pretty freely. So im guessing the broken/old mount is the reason for the thud when shifting.

I put the car on jackstands and used a pry bar to push up on the tranny and it moved pretty freely. So im guessing the broken/old mount is the reason for the thud when shifting.
If you're going to replace that tranny mount I would try and find a polyurethane one. They hold up ten times better than rubber ones.

Back