ignition switch HUGE problem...

johnrada

so i install my new ignition switch and i can't even key on the electric now...what have i done wrong? not to mention my dome lights won't go out...awesome. is there a certain procedure i need to follow on this install? very frustrating...any help is greatly appreciated and i have used the search feature too :\

... did you make sure the pin lines up with the slot for the plastic slider in the steering column before installing it ???

- Dan

yes, i know have a picture but the only logical spot the pin goes in yes. was there a way the part itself and the pin were suppose to line up in particular like from a certain starting position? this thing is a pain to take in and out because of the space/torx bits so i'd like to get it right this time around...lol

whats the part number for the switch , maybe you got the wrong one from the parts dealer . it has happened to me before, i would cross reference part numbers to be safe ...

You have to have the key in the switch and the switch turned to run before removing the old switch.....

They are not that hard to swap out.....

I use a ¼" wrench to drive the torx bit for that hard to get to front bolt.....

The other bolt is even easier to remove.....

thanks. its dark out now and i don't have a garage so i'll reinstall tomorrow...any answer on the dome lights?

i tried turning it both ways nothing works. i thought maybe i did that when i thought taking part of my dash off would help getting to those bolts, but nope...my sc just hates me! i'm gonna tease it and yell at it and tell it i'm trading it for something turbo or 4 cylinder...maybe it will stop acting up (eventhough i don't wanna!)

If you have the Ignition switch un-bolted from the column .. does it work normally - If you manually slide the pin to the Accessory, Run or Start positions ??

- Dan

If you have the Ignition switch un-bolted from the column .. does it work normally - If you manually slide the pin to the Accessory, Run or Start positions ??

- Dan

Agreed. You need to take the electrical switch out first to verify if you have another mechanical problem in the column. Try getting under there and see if you can see the slot move when you turn the key. That will verify if the linkage is broken or not. Then move the pin on the electrical switch and see if the electrics work right. (Please be careful, as the wires are live and those are big wires with big juice!!!)

i can't even get the electric to key on...i'm very frustrated idk what else to do...i re-did everything correctly i just don't get it...

Do any of the other interior lights stay on, or only the dome light....

When my SC starts acting up, I park it next to one of my heavily parted parts cars and tell her, "This could be you in the near future."

Works every time.....:D

So your dome light stays on, but everything else is always off. Could you have a problem at the fuse box under the hood? Maybe there is a short there and it popped a fuse. Did you check any fuses? Also, there are two wiring spots that seem to give a lot of trouble: the splice next to the driver's seat (in the floor channel) and the underhood light connectors.

When my SC starts acting up, I park it next to one of my heavily parted parts cars and tell her, "This could be you in the near future." Works every time.....:D

How cruel. :D

Was the dome light problem before the switch install, or only afterwards?

this just in...i'm a huge ~~~~~~~ and i didn't turn that light knob all the way...eric is winning so far. as far as the ignition goes..i'm completely lost. are those two wiring areas at fault for the ignition perhaps? or was that directed to the dome lights? all of the fuses are completely fine also. i also reinstalled the old ignition and it does not work either? i have to be just making a big mistake somewhere..

thanks for all the responses also!

Back