Motor mount information needed...

S_Mazza

Hi guys,

If you read my last thread, you know I recently had to address oil leaks from valve covers. While I had the car apart, I also replaced the lower IM gaskets, fuel injectors, plugs, wires, all coolant hoses, and vacuum lines. The last thing I did, after getting everything reassembled, was to change the oil and filter (because some water had gotten into the engine).

When I changed the filter, what should I find but that I had to jack up the motor to get the filter off? Which means my motor mounts are toast. And the oil pan may be rubbing too, which means I need to get these fixed. :eek:

So here are my questions:

1.) Is it possible to remove only the rubber inserts without disturbing the brackets at the frame and engine block? It looks to me like there is one large nut on top and two bolts on the bottom bracket, and that is all that holds the insert in place. Has anyone tried to get a wrench on those fasteners with everything in the car?

2.) If I could get the top nuts off, maybe I could use an engine support fixture, then lower the K-member with long bolts, as Rod (racecougar) has described in the past. Then perhaps I can just pull the mounts out and set the new ones in place. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I don't want to be a sissy, but I just reassembled the engine, IC tubes, and put the PS pulley back on and all ... and I really don't want to take that apart again if I don't have to. :rolleyes: (And I don't really want a shop messing with it either! sigh.)

yes! i have read where guys have changed them out from the bottom with different extensions and knuckles. but, i couldn't do it that way unless i absolutely had to. you are correct though....two bolts to the engine and one big nut to take off the center bolt that goes down through the entire mount. i can't recall if you still had to take the through bolt off of the bottom bracket for some wiggle room.

Back