Exhaust advice??

90SCKid

I'm looking into finally upgrading the exhaust on my 1990 SC. So far all I've done is removed the stock mufflers. But I want to completely replace all the pipes from just behind the manifolds and back. I found cat's with pipes, that eliminate that stupid 90 degree bend on the driver's side. I want to get an X-pipe and run a true dual exhaust and replace the gas tank with the newer style with the smaller bend. The part I really need input on is the mufflers, I've read a few guys going with the borla's, but I'm not sure what ones they are using/ cost? I was wondering if anyone has used Flow master Super 40 Delta's and what their opinion of them are. I def. don't want my car to sound like a ricer, but I'm looking to get some tone out of her. Any advice or help finding the best/ cheapest way to find all my parts would be awesome.
Thanks in advance.

Borla 19" Hemi (Turbo XL, part #40665) is the muffler I'm using. They are more expensive today then when I bought mine or I could be in denial over the true cost. I swear I paid under $300 for two of them.

Basically any muffler you get, the longer the better. The shorter muffler tends to end up with a buzzy sound. The longer muffler tends to smooth out the tone.

also, exhaust tips should point to the rear, and don't use turn downs. Turn downs bounce the exhaust noise off the blacktop and it reflects back up into the cabin, adding to exhaust drone in the car.

My plan on mine was to just get a dual inlet/single outlet Magnaflow and use that in place of my stock resonator and eliminate my mufflers. If I'm not satisfied with that I am going to throw a set of 40 series Flowmasters on there as well so it has mufflers. They sound AWESOME on Super Coupes. Check out YouTube. They have alot of exhaust clips.

i have flowmaster chambered mufflers on mine right now. they're probably the 40 series.

i can probably make a sound clip if you want.

i ultimately want borla's on it. they're the best i've heard on sc's.

I have a Magnaflow freeflowing cats, resonator and Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers and I absolutely love the way my exhaust sounds. Very low and gutteral. You could sell it for a V8 sound with absolutely no ricey tones or chokes like I've heard with other setups.

I just installed Kooks midlength headers and major engine upgrades and haven't started it up yet. So, I'm interested in how the exhaust note will change.

I have a Magnaflow freeflowing cats, resonator and Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers and I absolutely love the way my exhaust sounds. Very low and gutteral. You could sell it for a V8 sound with absolutely no ricey tones or chokes like I've heard with other setups.

I just installed Kooks midlength headers and major engine upgrades and haven't started it up yet. So, I'm interested in how the exhaust note will change.

Do you remember where you got your parts? and about how much you spent?

Where in Upstate NY are you? Borla and dynomax mufflers are my favorites, very mellow..the flowmasters are a little raspy to me, they don't sound terrible but i like a mellow deep tone. My current setup is 2-1/4 duals magnaflow resonator and borla's with a 92 tank in my 89.

if you dont want any ricey sound... make sure you use a resonator that is a floating fiberglass core, NOT a baffled one. or use mufflers such as magnaflows, borlas, etc, that arent.. honestly, for the price, you cant beat the oreilley inhouse mufflers, flowtech raptors... i have a pair on each of my birds. they make a nice exotic tone at WOT and arent terribly loud.

Let me know how yours sounds....

I am installing some of the same mods on mine....

Do you remember where you got your parts? and about how much you spent?

They were Christmas presents about 4 years ago, but I believe the Magnaflow Resonators and Cats were from Supercoupe Performance. Their res. is $100 and their 2 1/2 cats are $80. The flowmasters were bought from Pep Boys. It's all on a 2 1/2-3-2 1/2 SCP pipe kit.

if you dont want any ricey sound... make sure you use a resonator that is a floating fiberglass core, NOT a baffled one. or use mufflers such as magnaflows, borlas, etc, that arent.. honestly, for the price, you cant beat the oreilley inhouse mufflers, flowtech raptors... i have a pair on each of my birds. they make a nice exotic tone at WOT and arent terribly loud.

Got any sound clips? I was also looking for an "exotic" sound from my car.

I have the 40 series Flowmasters on the car. I like they sound. I cant say how well they would sound on someone else car as I modified the inlet and outlet on them for the bigger exhaust I am running on the car. Cant seem to not modify something once I get it:D. They have no drone like some other mufflers I have tried.

Ken

I've got the flowmaster kit on my cougar and it sounds good. About as close as you can get to that "V8" sound as you're going to get with these cars. It's not too loud, but just loud enough. When I was driving the car every day I didn't have any problems with droning unless I was making a long haul on the interstate. After 5+ hours of driving with that exhaust you'll have a mild headache guaranteed :rolleyes:

With my 94 I'm going a slightly different route and building a new exhaust from scratch. I'll be using 2.25" downtubes into 2.5" cats, to an 18" Magnaflow "x" resonator. From there back it will be 2.5" duals into 18" long Magnaflow mufflers. With the cats and the long mufflers/resonator it should help to shut up the car as much as possible so there will be only that sweet blower whine :D

I'll be finishing up the system this week and will have pictures and possibly videos up in the near future.

I have the 40 series Flowmasters on the car. I like they sound. I cant say how well they would sound on someone else car as I modified the inlet and outlet on them for the bigger exhaust I am running on the car. Cant seem to not modify something once I get it:D. They have no drone like some other mufflers I have tried.

Ken

I just looked at the flowmaster site and the kit (P/N 17100) also has the 40 series. Good soundin' exhaust. In my experience extended driving (2300ish rpm) drone will slowly get to ya though. YMMV ;)

Ken

since we are asking exhaust advice here.... anyone have any thoughts on side exit exhaust? thought about shortening the exhaust to a single 1-in-2-out muffler and modding some side skirts to have the exit go through it.

I just looked at the flowmaster site and the kit (P/N 17100) also has the 40 series. Good soundin' exhaust. In my experience extended driving (2300ish rpm) drone will slowly get to ya though. YMMV ;)

I beleive everone exhaust will sound diffrent due to how it is set up and how big it is. I have reworked the exhaust on my car many times trying to get rid of the drone and to allow for the max performance I can ring out of the car. For instance my tips shoot straight back and dont angle down at all. The resonator is a dual 21/2" in and 31/2" out. I splits out in the rear and stays 31/2" going into the mufflers. The tail pipes are actually 27/8" coming out of the mufflers and to the rear tips. So I would say my exhaust is not standard fair for the average SC. I havent detected any drone at highway speeds.

Ken

since we are asking exhaust advice here.... anyone have any thoughts on side exit exhaust? thought about shortening the exhaust to a single 1-in-2-out muffler and modding some side skirts to have the exit go through it.

It has been done before but requires some cutting and modifing of the body and certainly the moldings. Looked cool but wasnt something I wanted to do on my car

Ken

Back