question about odometer reading...

k_schutte

OK... so I bought my SC with just under 75K miles on the odometer. I just did a "carfax" (well someone on a different forum did it for me) and it looks like this: Keep in mind the car has been in storage since like 1999 or so.

09/05/1989 413
11/07/1990 13,257
01/27/1993 38,787
08/23/1993 54,482
08/24/1995 55,064
06/15/1997 71,007
10/30/1998 114,650 This was the guy I bought it from, he titled it, drove it for a couple months and then when he left the country he (military related) put it in storage thinking it would be worth a bunch of money when he got back. Ended up needing some work after sitting for over 10 years but I got it up and running within a few hours.

The guy told me that when he went to the DMV they had to have the mileage so he just made something up and that is where the 114,650 came from. Is that going to hurt me if/when I try to sell the vehicle claiming it to be "low mileage"? The odometer right now reads 74232... I mean, I think it likely that someone will really think the car had 44K miles put on it within a year (espescialy in iowa). So, should I just not worry about it? I don't plan to sell the car anytime soon or anything but I don't want to get in some sort of trouble when I go to the DMV and tell them the mileage since they have previously recorded a much higher odometer reading...

Odometer discrepency.

I worked in retail and wholesale auto sales before, we had a similar situation on an explorer. What we did in Michigan was get a signed affidavid from the previous owner, and go to the secretary of state and had the mileage corected on the title. I did not do it personally so I am not 100 percent clear on th process. If I remember correctly car-fax may still show a possible odometer discrepency, but as far as with the state, just go talk to them and see if they can help you with the process. If you go this route keep all the paper work to prove your case if you do sell the car down the road. It is possible to fix this( atleast in michigan) so if you have the time to deal with it give it a shot.

does this mean you're like the 7th owner? i wouldn't worry about it too much. most of these cars i look at i treat as another.... ripleys ' believe it or not '. Most times the odometer has quit working for 10-50 thousand miles:eek: before the guy gets it fixed anyways. Then he SELLS IT.:D
as long as it looks good and runs good i wouldn't bother splitting hairs.
MY .02 cents worth

Back