5 speed

shawpdx1

crakced open the trans everything looks good from what I can see I did find some tiny blue plastic 4 pieces between 2 & 3rd about the size of a 1/2 a screw head problems? I have pictures but can't upload until wifey gets home my computer does not want to upload off the card will post post when I get them up. if anyone has been down this Road any advice would be appreciated . not a tranny rebuild guy

Did you use a feeler gauge to check the blocker rings? From the description of your problems I'm betting 1st isn't within tolerance.

Really .

what is it suppose to be (Tolerance) and Im still concerned about this little blue plastic peices

This is what I was told to do:

"To check clearance just remove the top cover and put the feeler gauge between the gears and the blocker rings. Put pressure against the blocker ring to take up slack so you can check minimum clearance. I think minimum spec is .035 but I consider ...045 to be absolute minimum. I think new is about ...065"."

I attached a picture of the internals with arrows pointing to where you need to put the feeler gauge.

Here is a good link with tons of information about the M5R2.

http://www.cintcc.com/mn12performance/mn12how-to/m5r2_rebuild/m5r2-rebuild-howto.html

Attachments

• m5r2-internals-lg.JPG
    m5r2-internals-lg.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
This is what I was told to do:

"To check clearance just remove the top cover and put the feeler gauge between the gears and the blocker rings. Put pressure against the blocker ring to take up slack so you can check minimum clearance. I think minimum spec is .035 but I consider ...045 to be absolute minimum. I think new is about ...065"."

I attached a picture of the internals with arrows pointing to where you need to put the feeler gauge.

Here is a good link with tons of information about the M5R2.

http://www.cintcc.com/mn12performance/mn12how-to/m5r2_rebuild/m5r2-rebuild-howto.html

Which side of the synchro are you supposed to measure clearance? The toothy side or the flat side? I was thinking it was the flat side - the direction the synchro is pushed when slider the "hub" or collar towards the gear. And aren't the actual brass blocker rings the synchros?

I's confused! :confused:

Last edited:
You measure between the flat side of the synchro and the tooth side of the gear itself. There should be a gap there. If there is no gap, you have worn the friction material pretty badly from the synchro and now when you grab a gear you are slamming the flat side of the synchro INTO the teeth of the gear. This eventually rounds the teeth off from the gear...and now it'll never shift nicely again unless you buy new gears. And good luck sourced brand new gears.

The plastic I presume could be your speedometer gear eating itself up. This is typical especially as you start adding teeth to the speedo gears (to compensate for agressive final drive gears). As you add teeth, the teeth become skinnier and skinnier making them even easier to break. Just pull the speedo gear from the side of the case and look to see if it's (1) blue and (2) ragged looking.

You measure between the flat side of the synchro and the tooth side of the gear itself. There should be a gap there. If there is no gap, you have worn the friction material pretty badly from the synchro and now when you grab a gear you are slamming the flat side of the synchro INTO the teeth of the gear. This eventually rounds the teeth off from the gear...and now it'll never shift nicely again unless you buy new gears. And good luck sourced brand new gears.

That's what I thought...90blkbrd...your picture is misleading. ;):p

Back