Whats this hose.. and how do i replace it ?

blksc

Working on replacing the water pump on my 95SC when i saw this hose.. looks just about to let go, but It seems like its part metal, part rubber. Anyone know how to remove just the rubber part ? I figured i could just install a new piece of hose.

3860522999_1a3c3fc742.jpg

Thats the Oil cooler line. It runs to the Oil Pump and has a bracket that attaches to the oil pan. Not sure how to replace just the rubber though. I have a extra one I will look at when the sun comes up

Last edited:
i cut the rubber part off of my 92 with a cut off wheel. im sure you could use something else

replaced it with a new piece and used clamps on both sides

shouldn't be to hard:rolleyes:

Thats the Oil cooler line. It runs to the Oil Pump and has a bracket that attaches to the oil pan. Not sure how to replace just the rubber though. I have a extra one I will look at when the sun comes up

Isnt the oil pump inside the oil pan? Does that mean I'd have to drop the pan to remove this line?

No, the oil pump is on the timing cover. Just follow the hose's routing and you'll see where it goes.

I don't know if you can get a replacement hose. You could cut some of the hard tubing off and then clamp 3/4" hose to the tubing/water pump.

the oil pump is external. The oil filter is attached to the oil cooler and the cooler is attached to the pump. Just follow the hose as it wraps around the bottom of the harmonic balancer. The pipe/hose is mounted to the oil pan on the left side unless someone didnt reconnect it in the past.

i cut the rubber part off of my 92 with a cut off wheel. im sure you could use something else

replaced it with a new piece and used clamps on both sides

shouldn't be to hard:rolleyes:

Dumb question but: Did you remove the line before cutting it off or did you do it while it was still in the engine bay? Me with a sharp tool near the engine could spell disaster lmao.

Dumb question but: Did you remove the line before cutting it off or did you do it while it was still in the engine bay? Me with a sharp tool near the engine could spell disaster lmao.

Best way is to remove that clamp and drain the coolant in a pan, see where your leak is cut off the bad section and clamp it back on. Might want to put a new stainless clamp on as well.

Jerry

I'd remove it then. :D It'd be easier to clean and work with if you did anyways. If you did it on the car, you may get debris in the coolant line, but I guess you could do it that way if you want.

I did a similar thing on a different metal/rubber coolant line not too long ago. If you want to keep the new piece of rubber short, cut through the aluminum crimp, if you don't care, cutting the metal tube would be easier. I think if you cut through the crimp, you'll end up with a lip to grip onto with the new hose....I could be wrong though.

I'd remove it then. :D It'd be easier to clean and work with if you did anyways. If you did it on the car, you may get debris in the coolant line, but I guess you could do it that way if you want.

I did a similar thing on a different metal/rubber coolant line not too long ago. If you want to keep the new piece of rubber short, cut through the aluminum crimp, if you don't care, cutting the metal tube would be easier. I think if you cut through the crimp, you'll end up with a lip to grip onto with the new hose....I could be wrong though.

Good point if that rubber piece is gone (junk), just remove and cut on the aluminum and get a new hoes of the same size and slide it over the piece you cut clamp on both sides with new clamps, but if its just bad at the end where the clamp is just do as I said if its long enough.

Jerry

Looks like the coolant line going from the water pump to the oil cooler. If I was doing it - I would remove it, cut the metal part holding the hose. This way you can keep the metal tubing and use new hose and clamps on the ends.

dbd

Attachments

• PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 92
No, the oil pump is on the timing cover. Just follow the hose's routing and you'll see where it goes.

I don't know if you can get a replacement hose. You could cut some of the hard tubing off and then clamp 3/4" hose to the tubing/water pump.

Thank you. I will do that. I know it will cheaper. Will the routing be more clear once i remove the water pump? right now it just looks like it disappears behind other crap.

Looks like the coolant line going from the water pump to the oil cooler. If I was doing it - I would remove it, cut the metal part holding the hose. This way you can keep the metal tubing and use new hose and clamps on the ends.

dbd

Thank you so much! A picture is worth a thousand busted knuckles man.

Back