IRS Subframe R&R

dklitzke

I plan to start restoring the '95 SC I couldn't sell, and I have a question. I have all new bushings for the IRS subframe, and wonder if anyone has experience removing and replacing the subframe. Also am wondering if any special tools are required to remove/install the big rubber bushings at the corners of the frame. I have a good pictorial blowup of the assembly that I got from 5-Star Ford (AZ) when I bought the new bushings. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I will also take pics and record tips and facts to share on this site as I do this job. Thanks!

Don aka Joe6Pak

(that's my SC's vanity tag)

to drop the sub-frame pretty much what you see is it. take the bolts out that you see and it all drops. dont forget to disconnect your anti-lock wires and er brake lines. as for the components of the sub-frame ive never gotten into yet. all of my sub-frames are in good shape atm. knock on wood :)

MN12 How-to

I just found that the MN12 IRS upgrade "How-to" is still out there, so I plan to use those instructions. Man, I have to marvel at all the good info out there about our cars. I think you can find out how to do just about anything you need to do to keep one of these running and in good shape. Also, after having been away for awhile, I see the club website is still active as ever.

Over the next year, I plan to do a full up restomod to the SC: Dave Dalke 4.2 stroker, MPx, if it'll fit under the stock hood, complete suspension overhaul w/ Konis and probably Vogt 3/4 springs (anybody out there tried/like the Vogts?), new paint, 3.73 posi Cobra chunk, a good computer program/chip, etc.

Thanks for the responses.

don

Where can I get one of those front cross braces in the picture??
What other braces are there for the rear?

And with that site I think welding up the rear end is in order with the 94 when I get home!

Back