PDA

View Full Version : Dual piston vs Larger single piston brake swap?

blksc
08-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Looking to upgrade the braking on my SC by doing either the PBR piston swap, or the Mark VIII brake setup?

Which would perform better dual piston calipers using same size rotor, or the larger mark vIII calipers and rotors?

slowpoke
08-28-2009, 01:45 AM
duel is going to stop you far faster, they apply more force. they also produce more heat as well. heat could relate to getting your disk turned alot. aftermarket disk with cooling slots and what not might work just fine with duel

Dirtyd0g
08-28-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm confused. I know I deal with more 4.6 cars than SC's but I thought the SC's already had the "markVIII" brakes.
Alan

blksc
08-28-2009, 09:15 PM
To my knowledge the SC's came with 10.84" brakes and the MarkVIII brakes are like 11.57". I would also go for more surface area using a single piston caliper than a dual piston caliper on the smaller stock rotor..

My logic:

The Dual piston setup will generate more heat due to incrased clamping force, but the stock size rotor may not have enough material to handle the increased heat.

The single piston design benefits from larger single piston design and a nice upgrade in size and beef of the rotor.

nickleman60
08-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I have both set ups and I like the dual piston better.

rzimmerl
08-28-2009, 11:10 PM
I debated the same thing last year, but after doing some research I did the PBR swap and love it.

blksc
08-29-2009, 12:49 AM
For me, it might also come down to availability and cost for me. Mark VIII's are readily available and often overlooked in the junkyards. Thanks for the feedback guys..

Regul8r
08-29-2009, 01:33 AM
help me out with this one.

Is there a link to the Mark VIII swap. or the dual piston upgrade.

Is this Mark VIII swap a simple unbolt the caliper, hose, bracket and remove the rotor... then rebolt to the T-Bird?

What about the rear?

Mike8675309
08-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Looking to upgrade the braking on my SC by doing either the PBR piston swap, or the Mark VIII brake setup?

Which would perform better dual piston calipers using same size rotor, or the larger mark vIII calipers and rotors?

This was discussed before... in fact you started that thread before. Most of the info you are looking for is still there.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27479&highlight=dual+piston+caliper+mark+viii

blksc
08-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Okay now that is just nuts! Its been so long I completely forgot about that thread.:rolleyes:

fturner
08-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I've just upgraded my car from stock to the dual piston PBR's with stock sized crossed drilled rotors and I can tell you right now there is a night and day difference. The car stops in almost half the distance from 100mph, and I actually have to modulate the brakes as she slows down or I'll kick on the ABS. It wouldn't do that with the stock brakes.

As for fading, I did about 7 hard stops in a row from 100mph with the only cool down time being the amount of time it took to get to 100mph from about 10mph which is about 12 seconds in my car and there was no fading at all. It was consistent every time.

Fraser

blksc
08-29-2009, 04:56 PM
I've just upgraded my car from stock to the dual piston PBR's with stock sized crossed drilled rotors and I can tell you right now there is a night and day difference. The car stops in almost half the distance from 100mph, and I actually have to modulate the brakes as she slows down or I'll kick on the ABS. It wouldn't do that with the stock brakes.

As for fading, I did about 7 hard stops in a row from 100mph with the only cool down time being the amount of time it took to get to 100mph from about 10mph which is about 12 seconds in my car and there was no fading at all. It was consistent every time.

Fraser

Thanks for the feedback. Where did you buy your PBR's ?

fturner
08-29-2009, 06:08 PM
I got them slightly used as a deal for me to tune the person's tbird for road course racing. They only had one race event on them and a summer's worth of driving.

Fraser

Duffy Floyd
08-29-2009, 06:37 PM
I bought mine through http://discbrakesrus.com

Dirtyd0g
08-29-2009, 10:26 PM
I bought a set of PBR Calipers from http://ww.strickerbros.com for about $40 each side. Then I don't remember where I got the cross drilled rotors. I have been very happy with the setup. My rear setup needs some work. I think a line lock would fix it. I seem to smoke the rear discs when racing. Daily driving is no issue. I however did the rear disc conversion without changing the porportioning valve. I assume I was wrong thinking that SC's had the larger brakes. I thought that was the reason why they all had to have 16 inch wheels. MarkVIII brakes will not clear 15's. I had to modify one caliper to clear the line.
Alan