help with cam on a 4.3 stroker and whipple?

l_shizzle_l

Hi.
New to sccoa but been on the Internet for a while on other sites but yall know what to do when it comes to positive displacement blowers. Here is the situation, I am almost done building my 4.3L for my mustang but the LAST thing I need is my cam. And I know the right cam will make this thing shine.:D

It will get driven N/A for some time before I put the supercharger on it, and hopefully by that time a intercooled intake will be out for it. But what should I be looking into as far as a size for the cam? I'm not really sure what else to say so if you want to help and need something not listed here feel free to ask.

I'll add a pic of the ghetto fabulous engine so yall don't think I'm a fake.

completepaint.jpg

Looks like you still have stock valve springs. If so that will limit how much cam you can run.

did you get the heads from SSM? If so, the springs should be the 118 springs/retainers, and they should be new. If not, and you do have the stockers, why not go for something in the range of 212/218. That is close to a TBird SC stock cam. If you're driving it N/A I don't think I would go above 218/224.

I have a 4.3L stroker supercoupe motor, and I opted for a 224/230. That would be way too much for what you are looking for, so keep it below that.

did you get the heads from SSM? If so, the springs should be the 118 springs/retainers, and they should be new. If not, and you do have the stockers, why not go for something in the range of 212/218. That is close to a TBird SC stock cam. If you're driving it N/A I don't think I would go above 218/224.

I have a 4.3L stroker supercoupe motor, and I opted for a 224/230. That would be way too much for what you are looking for, so keep it below that.

212/218 isn't even remotely close to a stock SC cam.

Without knowing what his spring rates are, what seat pressures he has, and what lift is going to generate coil bind with his combination, attempting to chose an appropriate cam or make recommendations is pointless.

212/218 isn't even remotely close to a stock SC cam.

Without knowing what his spring rates are, what seat pressures he has, and what lift is going to generate coil bind with his combination, attempting to chose an appropriate cam or make recommendations is pointless.

My mistake, looks like I got some bad info somewhere.

Wheres the whipple come into all this. You building your own setup. Someone else fabing one up. Dont leave us hanging

Ken

Thanks for the replies.

They are definitely not stock springs/retainers, though close, I have a stock set of 2002 heads here and they are noticeably different. They are some old valve springs with a funky green coating on them, I can not find them around anymore but digging through old posts have concluded they are 2001ish corvette valve springs. Gaston(owner of V6P) ported these some 4 years ago.
The KB or whipple will come down the road as money and time allows. I should be out of college in 2ish years and then with a bmuch better paying job.

I was advised a 224/230 if I wanted a little more sound out of it, I just hope this cam flow pretty good with a supercharger strapped on. Can anyone grind custom cams? lol

Cam selection depends on your desired power band and should always be matched to your gear ratio, etc. If you are running 3.73's and have a high stall converter (2500rpm or higher) then that would work ok. But if you want to run stock gears and want to have a combination that doesn't completely suck at low rpm, then you'll want to back off a little regardless of what it sounds like. You don't want to have something that sounds mean but can't get out of it's own way.

I can get you a cam, no problem, but would want to know a little more about your setup and goals before recommending a specific profile. For example, the split port heads in stock form are very weak on the exhaust side, but when properly ported can really work well. Do you have any flow #'s for the heads?

Back