how to set cam sensor?

92sclikenew

well im looking to find out how to set the cam sensor disturber deal(what ever you call it)

i don't have the tool and i hoping to not have to buy it and wait for it to come in i did do some searching but don't really know what its called so i cant really find any help that way

thanks!

cam sensor positioning tool

I'm pretty sure that tool is necessary to properly set the cam sensor. Only other suggestion is to stick it in there and reposition untill she runs!?!?!? Mine only cost a few dollars, they're just hard to find. Good luck!
JJ

I'm pretty sure that tool is necessary to properly set the cam sensor. Only other suggestion is to stick it in there and reposition untill she runs!?!?!? Mine only cost a few dollars, they're just hard to find. Good luck!
JJ

i read that you have to have it

i read something like set it for it at 26 pass TDC and then drop it in with the 1/2 moom to the block side

There is a way to set it without the tool. But the last time I did it was in 1999 and I can't remember. You have to set the #1 piston at TDC on compression stroke and then line the sensor/base up a certain way when you engage the splines. Then as you push the assembly into the bore, the base will rotate a bit more due to the gear engagement. Then you twist the top portion back to the location it has always been set. Maybe someone else here knows.

There is a way to set it without the tool. But the last time I did it was in 1999 and I can't remember. You have to set the #1 piston at TDC on compression stroke and then line the sensor/base up a certain way when you engage the splines. Then as you push the assembly into the bore, the base will rotate a bit more due to the gear engagement. Then you twist the top portion back to the location it has always been set. Maybe someone else here knows.

all i need to know is were to set it i know how to install it and every thing

besides how to set it. anybody???

Turn motor over to line timing pointer on front cover to 26* ATDC mark on balancer.

Install cam synconizer(big housing cam sensor bolts to) so that half moon is towards engine block with bottom edge of moon just forward of perpendicular to center line of engine.

Heres a pic cause thats worth 1000 words.:)

Attachments

• cam sensor1.jpg
    cam sensor1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
thanks you guys

i always forget about the faqs

but i guess it might not have helped that much if i didnt know the real name:rolleyes:

I just rebuilt my engine out of my black sc i set the cam sensor without the tool using the write up... works perfect started on the first crank thats pretty amazing since most rebuilt engines usually take a little while to fire for the first time. Not only that its a supercoupe so that adds to the misery.

I have a bhj balancer... the deep mark is 0 tdc and that single mark to the left of that is 26 atdc.

I've pulled several Cam sensors with never having the tool.

#1 at 26*ATDC and sensor at 30* to block.

Back