Engine Break-In Oil Appearance?

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
What should the oil look like after 100miles of moderate driving after an engine rebuild? - all new bearings, rings, etc. I know it is to be expected to have some particles in the oil, but what should these particles look like, and how many should there be? What color, size? Should it look like fine gold dust, or bits and pieces of iron / sludge? What color should the oil be?

Let me know what you guys have seen, if you would. :)

Just changed my break-in oil on Sunday. It was kind of caramel colored and slippery......j/k but I did just change the oil on Sunday so I would be interested in this as well.

It is not unusual to see some metallic content as the rings wear in quite a bit during the initial 300 mile break in. However, low oil pressure and the appearance of metallic paint indicate that you should consider taking the motor apart for inspection. Hate that, but typically it only gets worse....

What should the oil look like after 100miles of moderate driving after an engine rebuild? - all new bearings, rings, etc. I know it is to be expected to have some particles in the oil, but what should these particles look like, and how many should there be? What color, size? Should it look like fine gold dust, or bits and pieces of iron / sludge? What color should the oil be?

Let me know what you guys have seen, if you would. :)

Cut open your oil filter at its base seperate the paper accordian look there for metal . If you use a hacksaw you will create particals in the sawing process best to use avation snips or a nibbler if you have one. You would be suprised what you may find it all depends on how "clean" your assembally was. I cut one open the other day from a fresh built 454 and found peaces of shop towel in it. Black sluge in the bottom of the filter is a sign of flattened cam (most common on flat tappit motors) shavings/particals are an indication of bottom end dammage. if you are seeing "glitter" in your drain oil then the engine may be eating itself as you drive. If your concerned with what your seeing take some sample oil and your cut open oil filter to an automotive machinest for a read .

Last edited:
It is not unusual to see some metallic content as the rings wear in quite a bit during the initial 300 mile break in. However, low oil pressure and the appearance of metallic paint indicate that you should consider taking the motor apart for inspection. Hate that, but typically it only gets worse....

You cheated Dave! :p

I have what I would consider "quite a bit" of metallic glitter in the oil that drained out of the filter. And with my low oil pressure mentioned in another thread, I wouldn't be surprised if something is getting eaten up in there. I'm going to take the filter/oil sample to a shop and show the fella there what I have and see what he thinks about the looks of it. I haven't cut the filter open yet, what I seen is what has drained out of a hole that I punched in the filter. At this point, I'm expecting the worst and hoping for..."okay" :rolleyes: Looks like another Shootout goes by without me... :(

SCrazy - Did the oil in your filter look normal?

Well with all my journals being .010 under and STD bearings, my oil came out grayish. I figure from about 8oz of vasoline and assembly lube but beyond that was clear.

But I let you know hopefully by the end of the month what looks like with the right bearings.

Here's something weird...when I took the IC off, there was a little bit of dark gray oil in the upper IC pipe and a little bit of regular brown colored oil in the bottom. What's up with that? :confused:

Back