Super Coupe STILL no start!

MustangJake88

Well, I did what you guys told me and I replaced the crank sensor. My crank sensor was indeed in need of a replacement. My "upshift" light now no longer stays on while cranking the motor. Now I have another problem. I checked my car the other day for spark with a plug tester. It has spark. Then, I checked the schrader valve on top of the fuel rail. It spit out gas the first couple of times and then went dry. So, I tried seeing if the car would fire off of starting fluid, and it did. I again checked the schrader valve and it shot gas about 8 inches in the air. So I figured I would try and start it since it has fuel in the lines. Still no start. Checked the valve again and it was bone dry. Put a gauge on there. No pressure what so ever. So I changed out my fuel filter thinking that will help. Nope. Still the same crap. My fuel pump kicks on every time I hit the key but I am thinking from sitting for 3 years the pump has weakened. You guys have any other ideas or suggestions? I think here in a few I'm going to stop by the local O'Reilly and pick up a fuel pump.

get a proper fuel pressure gauge that you can put on the rail. Crank the motor and you should see fuel pressure build. If you do, that's all you need to start. It may be the EEC-IV doesn't like something so it's not firing the injectors.

but make sure you have pressure or don't have pressure. You can also force the fuel pump to run to test things by grabbing the test connector and grounding the fuel pump test pin. That'll trip the fuel pump relay to run the pump.

get a proper fuel pressure gauge that you can put on the rail. Crank the motor and you should see fuel pressure build. If you do, that's all you need to start. It may be the EEC-IV doesn't like something so it's not firing the injectors.

but make sure you have pressure or don't have pressure. You can also force the fuel pump to run to test things by grabbing the test connector and grounding the fuel pump test pin. That'll trip the fuel pump relay to run the pump.
Yes, I had a proper gauge last night and had it connected to the schrader valve. There was absolutely no pressure what so ever while I was turning it over.

Yes, I had a proper gauge last night and had it connected to the schrader valve. There was absolutely no pressure what so ever while I was turning it over.

Did you check the fuel pump fuse, and fuel pump relay? You can test the relay and fuse by grounding the fuel pump test connector in the EEC-IV test connector. This thread has info on how to do that.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75309&highlight=fuel+pump+test+pin

If you can't get the pump to run with that and build pressure and the fuse looks good, swap the relay with some other relay on the car or get a new one. If that doesn't fix it then it's the fuel pump or some wiring issue.

Did you check the fuel pump fuse, and fuel pump relay? You can test the relay and fuse by grounding the fuel pump test connector in the EEC-IV test connector. This thread has info on how to do that.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75309&highlight=fuel+pump+test+pin

If you can't get the pump to run with that and build pressure and the fuse looks good, swap the relay with some other relay on the car or get a new one. If that doesn't fix it then it's the fuel pump or some wiring issue.
Oh yeah to add to that, I had an experience mechanic come up and look at my car last night. He told me to replace the fuel filter which MAY have fixed the problem. Today I found out it didn't. He says sometimes the fuel pump may still kick on and circulate gas, but since has weakened from sitting and isn't making enough pressure to pump the fuel up to the fuel rails, which probably explains why I have no fuel coming out of my schrader valve...AGAIN! I'll ground that one pin on EEC test connector under my hood.

Well, I just tried that. The pump was kicking on but not even a drop came out of the line. Looks like I'm dropping the tank and installing my new pump. Let's hope to god this works!

I just dropped my tank last week to swap it out for a newer style MN12 tank for my new exhaust. The whole fuel pump assembly is pretty straight forward and I think you'll be able to figure out everything by yourself. I wish I would have had the money to replace my 100k mile fuel pump while it was out but oh well. If I were you I would upgrade the pump to a 255lph unit. Make sure you buy new clips for the fittings on the nylon fuel lines. I bought mine at autozone in the Help! section. 3 bucks for like 6 clips, you need both sizes, one size is black and the other is white. Be sure to reply back here if you have anymore questions. Good luck!

Well guys me and a buddy of mine did a last ditch effort thing and ran a wire down into my gas tank. It was bone dry even though my fuel gauge was reading a quarter. So I went to the gas station and filled up a small can of 93 and ran home and filled up the car. It started up after the 3rd try. Yeah, I have some other work to do though. The harmonic balancer is wobbling for some reason. I thought I had it tight the other night. Apparently not. Also, it looks as if the oil filter is not tight enough because the car leaked out almost a quart of oil on the garage floor while it was running. So yeah, the car is NOW running. Just a couple of small things to fix and hopefully it will be on the road in a couple of days :D

Well guys me and a buddy of mine did a last ditch effort thing and ran a wire down into my gas tank. It was bone dry even though my fuel gauge was reading a quarter. So I went to the gas station and filled up a small can of 93 and ran home and filled up the car. It started up after the 3rd try. Yeah, I have some other work to do though. The harmonic balancer is wobbling for some reason. I thought I had it tight the other night. Apparently not. Also, it looks as if the oil filter is not tight enough because the car leaked out almost a quart of oil on the garage floor while it was running. So yeah, the car is NOW running. Just a couple of small things to fix and hopefully it will be on the road in a couple of days :D

Do you mean the pulley is wobbling, not the balancer? If the balancer wobbles, then it's failed. If the pulley wobbles, it could be the balancer, but it is also just as likely you didn't get the bolt holes lined up properly before you tightened it down. One of the holes is drilled offset and the pulley needs to be lined up properly over the hole, otherwise it won't pull up flat, but it will seem tight.

Do you mean the pulley is wobbling, not the balancer? If the balancer wobbles, then it's failed. If the pulley wobbles, it could be the balancer, but it is also just as likely you didn't get the bolt holes lined up properly before you tightened it down. One of the holes is drilled offset and the pulley needs to be lined up properly over the hole, otherwise it won't pull up flat, but it will seem tight.
Yeah, the pulley I mean. I had no idea it had to be lined up any certain way. I know one of the bolts was fighting to go in. I really hope it's not the balancer. I'm going to be out of money for this thing soon. One of my rear calipers is stuck and I have to buy the belt tensioner that is on the alternator. Mine is all whacko. And hopefully not a balancer :( Thanks for the info though. I'll go out and try and figure out what the deal is.

Back