Anti lock light, only on first startup

super red91

This has been going on for a little while now. In the morning when I first startup my car, the amber ABS light comes on and stays light for a couple seconds. After that it goes off.

Brakes are fine, and no other check engine or brake warning lights come on.

I tried searching but it seems as if most people have the light on ALL the time, or during hard braking.

Any help?

ABS Light Upon Start-Up

Ryan;

That sounds normal. The amber ABS light and (I think) the red brake light remian on for about 30 seconds or so upon initial start up. I can look in the Owner's Manual or Shop Manual tonight for the explanation.

Ryan;

That sounds normal. The amber ABS light and (I think) the red brake light remian on for about 30 seconds or so upon initial start up. I can look in the Owner's Manual or Shop Manual tonight for the explanation.

i always just thought it was from the master cylinder building up pressure. you should how long it stays on when the cars been sitting for a long ~~~ time lol

Correct, the amber light stays on until the ABS pump has built up enough pressure (about 2,000 psi) in the accumulator. If you have a weak accumulator or a weak pump, it will take a longer time than usual. It should only be on for 10 seconds or so unless the car has been sitting (as the previous poster said).

Look into the last time the brake fluid was changed. My car used to take about 30 seconds to clear those lights, then I changed the brake fluid out and then it only tooks about 5-10 seconds. This was spring last year, and I've just changed the fluid again do to racing needs.

Fraser

Maybe I just never noticed it :rolleyes:

Or maybe for some odd reason the car has not given me any problems and I'm trying to make up ones haha (yeah I knocking on wood right now)

The system does a self-check when first turned on. The red brake light is usually on because the system is not up to pressure. That clears when the accumulator is recharge to normal operating pressure. The amber light goes off when the self check process is complete. That checks both "sides" of the ABS computer and electrical continuity of the wheel sensors and wiring to and from as well as the valves in the valve block.

Back