trying to refill my A/C with freon, compressor works but not cycling

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
The compressor is not coming on, but assumign it works (i will test today by jumping it) what are my options at this point to get the compressor going?

Im assuming the system is just low on freon and the low pressure sensor is not allowing for the compressor to run, but if it doesnt run...how do I refill the system??

Thanks!

If the system simply has a reduced charge level, connecting on the low side will allow you to up the charge...that's the routine process.

And if being low is the only issue, the compressor will lock/cycle appropriately once the proper charge is introduced.

If you don't understand the process, or lack the proper tools, or simply don't feel comfortable, take it to a local AC shop for the correct service, etc. It could save you money and time in the long run and provide a fallback via warranty, etc.

You can get one of those cheapo refill kits that uses the low pressure port to add freon. Some come with alittle gauge that gives you estimate on how low you are and how much to add. This will get you by but the best thing to use is a set of gauges so you can properly monitor both low and high side pressures. Checking the high side pressure can tell you how well your compressor is working and assuring that you do not overcharge the system. Freon itself is not consumable so you have leak somewhere that needs to be fixed. I would advise that you fix the leak first or you will just eventually lose the freon again. You can usually tell where a leak is by the sight of an oily residue around your a/c lines ie; lines going to and from compressor, around the drier, connections to evaporator or condeser. If not, you can inject a yellow die to give a better clue as to where the leak could be. If the leak is small enough you may have to bring it to a shop for them to find as they have more sophisticated leak detection equipment. Also depending on how much freon has leaked you may need to pull a vacuum on the system to avoid having moisture in the lines. If there is alot oil where the leak was it may be best to add an oil charge as well. You really need a good set of gauges to properly work on the system or bring it to a pro funds permitting:D.
Hope this helps.

Thomas

i did a very simple visual check for leaks and nothing appeared to be damaged or leaking, so i hooked up the r134a can with the little gauge and i followed the instructions but the gauge never moved and the pressure didnt increase. I figured that it was because the compressor wasnt coming on or something like that.

So even if the compressor is not running, once I hook up the freon can to the low port the pressure is supposed to increase? It was marking like 10PSI...but never moved up from there. :confused:

i did a very simple visual check for leaks and nothing appeared to be damaged or leaking, so i hooked up the r134a can with the little gauge and i followed the instructions but the gauge never moved and the pressure didnt increase. I figured that it was because the compressor wasnt coming on or something like that.

So even if the compressor is not running, once I hook up the freon can to the low port the pressure is supposed to increase? It was marking like 10PSI...but never moved up from there. :confused:

The gauge should show something happening. Even if the system is full, the gauge should go into the "danger" zone.

I just used a can on my '97 4.6 LX. Turned out the ICRM wasn't letting the compressor come on. I don't know if the same thing can happen with the a/c and ICRM on an SC.

Replaced the ICRM and the compressor started working again. But, the a/c system was overcharged and wasn't working correctly. (Put it on a machine that shows the high and low pressure sides. Drew some 134 out and now it works great.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

The compressor is not coming on, but assumign it works (i will test today by jumping it) what are my options at this point to get the compressor going?

Im assuming the system is just low on freon and the low pressure sensor is not allowing for the compressor to run, but if it doesnt run...how do I refill the system??

Thanks!

I'm assuming you jumped it using the low pressure switch and it came on? What kind of refill kit did you use? Some you screw on top of the can and then have to pierce the can with a needle built into it. Then unscrew the needle to allow freon to pass through. Your system may be too low (to close to outside pressure) accept any freon without pulling a vacuum first.

some thing doesn't make sense. if the comp. is cycling ( clicking on off on off ) that's normal for no freon. hook the gauges up, turn your ( i assume BBQ tank size of freon ) upside down and the cycling should start to slow down when it's filling.

Back