Got my SC out for the first test run today, sputtering and missing

MustangJake88

Well, I finally got to test drive my new SC for the first time. Got the brakes finally squared away. So I took it for a spin outside of town away from the popo. I brought the car to a dead stop and tried giving it a little bit of a launch. That was a NO GO. The car was boosting just fine but it was sputtering and missing really bad, and then it finally took off and when I shifted into 2nd it was like someone chokeslammed my a$$ in the seat! :eek: Could the first gear sputter be just the old plugs and wires? The car sat for 3 years and it still has the old plugs. I'm pretty sure that's the problem but I am just making sure with you guys that that is what is doing it. I tell ya what though, this car has potential. The thing impressed me and it's not running the greatest.

>The car sat for 3 years and it still has the old plugs

And the old fuel? Add some treatment and fill it with premium.

Check the air filter to make sure nothing built a nest, etc.

Check for vacuum leaks.

Take it out on the highway and blow the hello out of it for a few hundred yards... a couple of times.

>The car sat for 3 years and it still has the old plugs

And the old fuel? Add some treatment and fill it with premium.

Check the air filter to make sure nothing built a nest, etc.

Check for vacuum leaks.

Take it out on the highway and blow the hello out of it for a few hundred yards... a couple of times.
It has brand new gas. Put about 5 gallons of 93 octane in it the other day and ran a bottle of Lucas through it. I replaced the old filter. It has a cold air intake. The vacuum leaks I haven't got around to yet.

It has brand new gas. Put about 5 gallons of 93 octane in it the other day and ran a bottle of Lucas through it. I replaced the old filter. It has a cold air intake. The vacuum leaks I haven't got around to yet.

Pull the old plugs and check em out. Most likely its a loose or bad connection with the wires.

Put more than 5 gallons in. Especially if mixed with really old gas. Did u put a new fuel filter in ? I would've done that along with a fresh oil change if it's been sitting.

Pull the old plugs and check em out. Most likely its a loose or bad connection with the wires.

Put more than 5 gallons in. Especially if mixed with really old gas. Did u put a new fuel filter in ? I would've done that along with a fresh oil change if it's been sitting.
Yes, I changed the fuel filter, ran some Lucas through it, and put brand new oil in it. The car was completely out of gas. That's why I couldn't figure out why the hell it wasn't getting any fuel. I thought my pump was bad. Come to find out the gauge was reading a quarter tank and my tank was actually empty! :eek: I felt like such a dumba$$ after that!

Sooooo, I got the plugs in, after three hours, what a nightmare! :mad: I swear to you guys I said every cuss word in the book after fighting the old plugs. Anyways, the car runs WAYYY better. It absolutely annihilates the tires in 1st and 2nd gear. This car is alot more powerful than my past 5.0 Mustangs. I am very happy with it. Thanks for all the help guys. If it wasn't for these forums the car would still in the garage with a busted crank sensor and in a non-running state. :cool:

it always tickles my fancy to hear of a new supercouper, the sc bug has just biten you and as of now you are its property.

the road from here on out will be covered with potholes and occassionally some glass smooth surfaces

it always tickles my fancy to hear of a new supercouper, the sc bug has just biten you and as of now you are its property.

the road from here on out will be covered with potholes and occassionally some glass smooth surfaces
I live in Illinois so my roads will be covered with potholes no matter what :( I hate this state.

Back