traction control?

tondog

i have an 89 5-speed. now i assume that my car has traction control because when i try to burn the tires, the car starts acting like the tire is hoppin or something. do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do. its really annoying and embarassing. the only way ive been able to do a good burn out is by rolling in reverse slowly and then punching it. its not like all i want to do is burn out but it would be nice to be able to do it with out rolling backwards first.

so, my question is: is there some way to tap into a power wire for the traction control so a switch can be added?

Hello. The SC did not actually have traction control until the '94 & '95 models, although curiously Edmunds lists the '92 as having it. What you are noticing is in fact a phenomena called wheel hop. Because our cars have Independent Rear Suspension(IRS), the drive wheel will hop off the ground repeatedly during excessive load & loss of traction.. a burnout. Recently a solution was discovered to fix the problem involving minor modification to the rear end, but I can not recall the poster. Basically, dont drop the clutch on it or floor it from a standstill, that will get wheel hop almost every time. If you get used to the clutch you will be able to give it just the right amount of slip and catch a good wheel without hop. Dont let it slip excessively and it wont hurt the clutch. Also, you only need about 1500 rpm to get as long a patch as you want, once your used to it :D

Prior to 94-95, SC's and 80-90 XR7's had TRACTION-LOCK rear ends as opposed to traction control which is switch selectable. There is a clutch pack in the rear diff that engages when one wheel begins to spin and locks the rear diff like posi-track. There is now way to defeat this mechanism.

i hear everyone complaining about wheel hop.. i have a stock 91 and if i punch it i can do a nice burnout minus the wheel hop. why would it do it in some cars and not others?

you see

i have 5 other buddys with 89sc 5-speeds and i have the only 90auto all of them have wheel hop besides me, i think mabe it does it mostly on the 5-speeds than the autos because if i punch it i get a clean non-wheel hop burn out (and alot of smoke form the tires) just what im thinking....

-Jerry-

yes

That is correct. Due to differences in gear ratios between the autos & manuals the Automatics have no problems with wheel hop. First gear in an auto has much less torque! So as an alternative, you might be able to launch in second and get a clean patch w/ a 5spd, but its not something I would do.

Back