Help diagnose bucking and ecm codes 212 and 214

Momar

I have a 91 Supercoupe. A couple weeks ago it started having an issue when under load. If I got into the throttle enough to where I was getting into boost in anything over 1st gear I would get a hessitation, or slight bucking. If I babied car it still drove fine. Well, the DIS module was under warranty because I had replaced it a year ago or so. I tried putting one of those on just to see if it fixed it. It did not change the issue.

A couple days ago the car got majorly worse. It started cutting out and bucking while I was driving to the point where it was undrivable. I parked it and came back a couple hours later, and it started and ran fine. It still had its hesitation under load, but drove fine if I was nice to it. After driving it a while it began bucking and became undrivable again. I tried a new coil pack on it just because it was easy. Still no change. I tried running it with cam sensor unplugged and still no change. I also inspected for wires rubbing on ballancer or such, and found no problem.

I drove the car a few times trying to figure it out. Everytime it starts out driving pretty well when first started, but after driving a few minutes is undrivable until it sits for at least a couple hours. Today, I checked the codes w/ a snapon scan tool. It had codes 212 which was for erratic PIP signal, and 214 which was something about the CID I believe. I have read that it sounds like an erratic PIP would be due to a crank sensor, but I thought that the CID was related to cam sensor. I am going to try to inspect the crank sensor and balancer tomorrow. This is my daily driver though, and I need to get this fixed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

Search here on 214 and cam sensor...be sure to check grounds, wiring condition, ignition switch and clear the codes as you work. Confirm the balancer/crank pulley isn't wobbling/loose/missing/out of position etc.

I have already searched those and done a lot of reading. Prob is that the 212 seems like it would be crank related, and the 214 cam right?

Well, I went ahead and repalaced the cam sensor. I figured it was cheaper and easier, so I would give it a try. The problem still exists. The balancer doesnt wobble, and the bolt is still there.

So am I probably looking at a failing crank sensor? The only other thing I can think of is that maybe it could be from using the wrong grease on the ign module. When I replaced it the first time, it didnt come with anything so they told me to use dielectric grease. Well, I replaced it again thinking it could be the problem still, and told them I didnt think that was right. They got me some "dielectric compound" for modules instead this time. It was white. It still didnt say anything about heat sync. Was this the right stuff, and would it cause a problem?

Thanks

Ben

Well, I believe I found the problem. I bought a new crank sensor. When I got under the car and looked at the old one, it looked like it had been shaved into by the balancer. I had tried moving the pulley thinking that if the balancer was bad that the pulley would move. I was wrong. I didnt realize till I was starting to put the new sensor in that the outer ring of the balancer spins free from the center hub.

So now, I guess I need a balancer. Where is the cheapest I can get one? Honestly, this car is going downhill real bad, and I am questioning even spending money on it. I hope someone can tell me where I can get one for a decent price.

Thanks

Back