Dyeing Interior

Super XR7

Does anyone have any experience in dyeing soft plastic interior pieces such as the kick panels, floor trim and sails? If so what product did you use, how did you prep and how durable was it?

Mike

Does anyone have any experience in dyeing soft plastic interior pieces such as the kick panels, floor trim and sails? If so what product did you use, how did you prep and how durable was it?

Mike

You can go to a auto refinishing store that sells auto paints. They make a prep kit that has like 3 steps to clean and prep the surface for dyeing the plastic. I installed manual seat belts in my 93 with black interior and in 93 you couldnt get black so I dyed some tan ones. Painting or using a dye on plastic or vinel surfaces without prep will likely bite you later on

Ken

use a good mineral spirits or a plastic parts prep cleaner.

SEM and Duplicolor both make an awesome interior dye. There are a few others that you can get at trim and upholstery shops, but that would depend on whats in your area.

I have used the Colorbond product on some test pieces and it appears to work very well on all except the door sill trim, sails, the very bottom piece of the 94-95 door panel and kick panels. Those parts are made from polypropylene and does not paint well. I am now looking for the canadian version 89-93 black sail and door sill pieces. The black kick panels I should be able to find at a local bone yard and for the bottom of the door panel; I do not have a plan yet.

Mike

Back