trans slips brake light comes on????

TinManSC92

my 90 automatic slips and the brake light comes on at the same time. when the tach goes back down to normal the brake light goes off. anyone have any idea what could make this happen and do the bands just need tightening on the trans. can i do that myself.

Check the fluid level in the master cylinder. The brake light isn't tied to the tranny at all.

As far as slipping... thats bad news :(. Time to drop it and get it rebuilt, which I'll probably be doing my own this winter after the shootout.

Fraser

ya, that's why i thought it odd. can't explain why it does that. the tranny itself though, i would buy one off Brian in a second but, my brother thinks he can fix this one for some reason. i personally don't need the extra headaches. a simple swap is by far easier for my limited tranny knowledge. thanks fraser.

It's an odd mix of what sounds like 'electrical gremlns'...

I only say this because I had all kinds of weird things happening on my 89 that were seemingly unrelated!
Fixed a couple bad splices in the harness on the driver's side and then went around and CLEANED the ground bolts and surfaces with steel wool and put them all back on. (Took about 1 hour) This has 'fixed' 6-7 things that seemed totally unrelated on the car.
It fixed a low idle problem, the keyless entry, two of the courtesy lights, the 'Check Gage light' , my oil pressure gage, both rear panel speakers and my cars ability to blow out $40 turn signal modules.
Now looking at the wiring diagram you wouldn't think all these things would be related...... But fixing as many splices and cleaning all the grounds on the car seems to have fixed all these things. (fingers and toes are crossed....)
It's worth a check!

Lance

Back