Is my car Running to rich?

RedSC93

My 93 has the later model blower with 10%, plenum, maf, injectors. Just added a 255 fuel pump. The car runs great just smells like gas but its not leaking any..

Thanks for your help and ideas.

Jerry

Chart your gas mileage. That will tell you something. I get a fuel system rich CE lamp code after driving. And charting the mileage, 8-12mpg in my case. Way too rich, need some dyno time.

Where is the smell coming from? It's possible their is a bad seal or hose somewhere on top of the tank that is causing you problems. A small leak there will cause you to get poor milage and likely dry/evaporate before ever reaching the bottom of the tank. Double D mentioned the fuel level sending unit (FLSU) were updating for the 95+ Tbirds to SS units because the early ones rusted out and cracked their welds (or something like that). I'm replacing mine before the shootout as well as all the hoses and what-not associated with the tank because I get a slight fuel odor from the tank area right after a fill-up.

My Mods:

ZR intake 9' k&n
70mm BBK TB
Inter-cooler Fan
Aluminum Radiator
70 mm maf From a 94/95
94/95 chrome rebuild Fuel Rail, 94/95 36lb injectors
94/95 Rebuilt Supercharger with 10% OD Pulley
94/95 Plenum
255 lph fuel pump
Cat back Flow master Exhaust 2 1/2, removed Res. replaced with Y pipe
Just rebuilt the engine in April

thanks for you help

I'd check the tank just to be sure, but if thats not it I'm guessing your injectors/maf combo maybe causing an issue.

My 93 has the later model blower with 10%, plenum, maf, injectors. Just added a 255 fuel pump. The car runs great just smells like gas but its not leaking any..

Thanks for your help and ideas.

Jerry

In the interior or under the hood. If in the interior and not under the hood, it's likely something to do with leaks at the fuel filter, or the hat seal at the fuel tank, or the cross over hose on the fuel tank, or the filler neck vent hose.

If it's under the hood, could be an injector leaking at the rail or in the head from a damaged o-ring or not seated properly.

Most likely Pablo is right, you probably have a small leak at the tank. Of course it won't drip, it just stinks like gas because it's mostly fumes that escape that way.

Just please be careful, my SC smelled like gas and it turned out to be a slightly nicked injector O-ring that caused fuel to leak on the intake manifold when the engine was on and it happened after I put my 42# injectors in, I'm thankful that nothing bad happened!!! (and no I didn't drive it like that) LOL

My Mods:

ZR intake 9' k&n
70mm BBK TB
Inter-cooler Fan
Aluminum Radiator
70 mm maf From a 94/95
94/95 chrome rebuild Fuel Rail, 94/95 36lb injectors
94/95 Rebuilt Supercharger with 10% OD Pulley
94/95 Plenum
255 lph fuel pump
Cat back Flow master Exhaust 2 1/2, removed Res. replaced with Y pipe
Just rebuilt the engine in April

thanks for you help

Did you replace the injector O-rings when you swapped in the used injectors? If reused, they are very likely to leak.

Also, the seal around the fuel pump can leak and eat away the connector on top of the tank. That could become a burning issue ... so to speak. :rolleyes:

have the same issues on my friend bills 89 sc we're thinking its an evap canister problem

might want to give that a look over

HPIM07532.jpg

Here is what fell off.

Jerry

Back