Putting the motor back together, need some insight

Condor232

I am putting the 94 SC motor back together this weekend, and want to make sure I am prepared for everything. I have a few questions, and would really appreciate the help:

1.) How many of the really long studs go into the front of the motor? I have three, but do not know if there are more of the long studs to hold the timing cover on. Any pics would be much appreciated.

2.) Is there a gasket for the oil pickup? I may need to make my own if so.

3.) Also, I have a Delk Main Girdle, and am having some problems picturing the oil pickup. There is one small hole drilled in the girdle to hold the pickup, but it looks way to small. Has anyone used any tricks to bolt up the pickup to the main girdle?

4.) Any pictures of the torn down motor builds would be much appreciated, as I want to be sure I don't miss anything.

Last edited:
1. you need to get all the bolts and studs you have from the water pump and front cover and do a dry run putting these items on before you apply any sealer to either (if you are using any sealer on them). Getting these items on and torqued down in the proper sequence (before sealer sets up) is fairly important to prevent any leaks. Thoroughly inspect and clean or hone any irregularities in the front cover and pump. You can get replacements for the long studs from Ford if yours are rotten.

2. There is a gasket for the oil pickup, it is only available from Ford, get it and use it, do a search for the PN.

3. The main bolts / studs will still be in the same place but you're just gonna have to put these pieces on and see what it looks like, a little handy work may be required. You should not be putting any force on the pickup tube when it is in place to be bolted down. Of course make sure it all clears the oil pan before you start putting sealer on the pan to bolt it up.

4. The real ford (helms) manual is indispensable for this operation. Look on ebay, about $40.

Good luck, take your time, do it once.
MB

1. you need to get all the bolts and studs you have from the water pump and front cover and do a dry run putting these items on before you apply any sealer to either (if you are using any sealer on them). Getting these items on and torqued down in the proper sequence (before sealer sets up) is fairly important to prevent any leaks. Thoroughly inspect and clean or hone any irregularities in the front cover and pump. You can get replacements for the long studs from Ford if yours are rotten.

2. There is a gasket for the oil pickup, it is only available from Ford, get it and use it, do a search for the PN.

3. The main bolts / studs will still be in the same place but you're just gonna have to put these pieces on and see what it looks like, a little handy work may be required. You should not be putting any force on the pickup tube when it is in place to be bolted down. Of course make sure it all clears the oil pan before you start putting sealer on the pan to bolt it up.

4. The real ford (helms) manual is indispensable for this operation. Look on ebay, about $40.

Good luck, take your time, do it once.
MB

For number 1, any idea how many studs are needed. Also, a good place to search for Ford part #'s other than motorcraft?

The original studs had the nut made on it. What ford sells now is a plain stud with seperate nuts to bolt the water pump on with. I believe the thread is m8x1.25. You really don't need any of them to be studs. Most people delete the PS support bracket.

Back