PDA

View Full Version : ABS linked to traction assist?

Thomas95SC
09-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Ok here goes, I start the car and everything is fine. I put it drive and go but shortly after that the traction assist goes off and the ABS light comes on. When i first start the car there is no ABS light and I can manually turn the traction assist on and off. I cant turn the traction assist back on once it does this. The brake light doesnt come on and the brakes feel pretty normal. What could this be?

Thomas

Pablo94SC
09-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I have this problem and my ABS light comes on sporadically. I also always hear and feel the ABS system cycle (thru the brake pedal) when I shut off the car. Usually a restart resets the light and I'm good to go for a week or so before it pops up again. No problems braking otherwise.

I was told by a former SC'er that replacing a module near the ABS computer (DS front fenderwell behind the foglight opening) that looks like a heatsink fixed this exact problem. Perhaps yours has the same problem? If I can get to the junkyard in the next couple of days I'm going to pull that part off a late model with ABS and see if it fixes my problem. Send me a PM this weekend if you don't hear back from me and I'll give ya an update.

Duffy Floyd
09-08-2009, 06:19 PM
What year SC? I would suspect you have a bad wheel sensor. The system "sees" the sensor at system start-up as it goes through its self check function which checks continuity through the system and wheel sensor resistance, but once the car starts moving the output signal of a sensor(s) doesn't change and the system throws an error code. I would suggest you have the codes read to confirm and at least give you one area to go after. I would suggest tracing the electrical connectors for the system down and cleaning each to eliminate that cause before actually changing any wheel sensors.

Thomas95SC
09-08-2009, 06:35 PM
What year SC? I would suspect you have a bad wheel sensor. The system "sees" the sensor at system start-up as it goes through its self check function which checks continuity through the system and wheel sensor resistance, but once the car starts moving the output signal of a sensor(s) doesn't change and the system throws an error code. I would suggest you have the codes read to confirm and at least give you one area to go after. I would suggest tracing the electrical connectors for the system down and cleaning each to eliminate that cause before actually changing any wheel sensors.

Its a 95. I might have some one who can read the ABS, but will bring it in if necessary.

Thomas

Duffy Floyd
09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Bring it in where? To a dealer????? I would suggest trying an Advanced Auto first to see if they can read ABS Codes. The connector for doing the test is attached to the Power Distribution Box in the engine bay. No club members in your area with a decent code reader?

Thomas95SC
09-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Bring it in where? To a dealer????? I would suggest trying an Advanced Auto first to see if they can read ABS Codes. The connector for doing the test is attached to the Power Distribution Box in the engine bay. No club members in your area with a decent code reader?

My father in law knows a mechanic. I haven't talked to anyone around here in awhile. I just bought another sc recently. Not too many sc owners in the gulf coast area. I had to get my sc from Florida.