**update w/vid**Randomly dies at idle

Thomas95SC

I did a search and really couldn't find anything. It starts and drives fine but when stopped it will just randomly die. It seems to even idle fine for a about 3 or 4 mins and then all the sudden it just dies. Every so often it will dip down in rpms when put in gear or when sitting at a light. Heres the breakdown:
No CE light, comes on when dies but goes off when restarted
Idles around 6-700 rpm
Idles pretty good for 3/4 mins then just shuts off
pulls about 15/16 vac in park/ 11 in drive
most of vac lines look good. the motor was rebuilt so most look new
unplugged IAC, died right after
removed and cleaned and lubed IAC, no change
unplugged MAF sensor, idle changed slightly but then went back to normal
sprayed starting fluid around vac lines and IC connections no change in engine pitch
It starts right back up after it dies, stumbles for a sec, dips to 500 rpm, then picks up
What do you guys think?

Thomas

Last edited:
>I did a search and really couldn't find anything.

Not possible, sorry...try again :)

Search on stall, stalling, DIS, crank sensor, cam sensor, grounds, fuel, balancer, etc. Tons of past posts.

This is a common issue, centering on the electronics, usually. Which SC is this for?

well I mean I couldn't find anything doing the same as mine:p. I didn't think about typing in stalling. Good idea:).

15/16 on the vac seems low to me, mine are no lower than what I would say 18 area...the problem area for me seems to be the lower IC tube connection with the IC itself. I had 18 on the guage with Copper RTV and then upgraded to teflon on the IC and now sit right on 20.

The idol seems low also in my book, I always understood 900 to be about to correct frame when in park.

-Tim

15/16 on the vac seems low to me, mine are no lower than what I would say 18 area...the problem area for me seems to be the lower IC tube connection with the IC itself. I had 18 on the guage with Copper RTV and then upgraded to teflon on the IC and now sit right on 20.

The idol seems low also in my book, I always understood 900 to be about to correct frame when in park.

-Tim

I was thinking of ordering some teflon gaskets since I had some on my old one and they worked great. I noticed some oily residue all around the sc top.

.....check your motor mounts..believe it or not,collapsed or torn stock mounts will cause it too drop idle and/or stall at idle especially when slowing down for a stop sign/light...........just a thought....
z

heres a vid I took before the previous one. This just after I was spraying carb cleaner around vac lines. I stuck my hand behind the plenum and was feeling around for leaks when it started doing this. It never did this before. I thought maybe i knocked a line loose but I restarted it and it ran fine. Thats when I took the vid above. Would a blown HG run like this? When I started it up again last night I noticed steam coming from the pass side exhuast area. It smelled a little like antifreeze. But after a few minutes of warming up (and a few restarts), it went away. Should I do a compression test? Also the exhaust smells really strong. I'm sure how to describe it. Maybe a little rich. I brought it to friend that had a snap-on code reader and it said something about bank 2 was rich or something. He said 02 sensor but would an 02 sensor make it run like that?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/35snf0KoWRQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/35snf0KoWRQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thomas

Just thought of this... bad EGR valve/PFE transducer. Don't remember if you have those on the car or not, but it could explain running fine then suddenly going to poop when the EGR valve tries to open.

Back