PDA

View Full Version : Getting Hot

StlSupercoupe
09-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I have looked on the Forums already, I have not found a exact 'answer' on what my problem is.

I have a 1994 Supercoupe, I can drive it all day long and it not have a temp problem. The minute I sit at a light, or idling it starts to heat up. I can turn the heat on and the temp goes down, not to normal but cools it off. It has not overheated,

What are the possible causes for this? Fan Problem?

There is no oil/antifreeze or anything in the Oil, I am not suspecting a head gasket. I could be wrong, could you please tell me things to start looking at or testing?

Thanks in Advance.

TinManSC92
09-10-2009, 05:57 PM
did yo mean " i can drive it all day long and not have a temp. problem" or i HAVE driven it all day long without a temp. problem. the former denotes it has been an ongoing experience...the latter, a new problem i've just noticed.
need to know that!:confused:

Pablo94SC
09-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Your fan might not be coming on, but here is the "short" list of questions we're going to ask because honestly, you gave us no troubleshooting steps that you've done and therefore no real useful information to go on.

Where exactly in "NORM" is the gauge needle resting; while driving and when sitting at idle? Are you running the A/C or not? Have you done a KOEO test to verify both fans cycle and that you hear the three distinct windings turn on? Do you have a chip to turn on the fans earlier or is it running off the stock programming? Do you have underdrive pulleys? When was the last time you properly back-flushed and re-filled the coolant? Is the connection to the gauge temp sender (on the t-stat housing) secure? When did you last change the thermostat and at what temperature is it supposed to open (180*, 197*, etc)? Have you replaced your radiator cap ever, and if so, is it listed at 16lbs? And finally, when was the last time you cleaned the coolant reservoir (overfill bottle) and checked its hose for blockage/cracks?

Smkn600ctd
09-11-2009, 02:02 AM
My buddy has a 95 that was doing the same thing.

Installed the BIG griffin radiator......now it lives between the "N" and "O", and thats in the 100 plus degree vegas heat.

Its a huge radiator :D

StlSupercoupe
09-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Where did he/you get the Griffin Radiator from?

Pablo94SC
09-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Where did he/you get the Griffin Radiator from?

Before you spend $500+ on a Griffin radiator, why not try doing some troubleshooting first? But of course, it's your money.

StlSupercoupe
09-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I will start trouble shooting it this evening and get back with the results.

The problem is I cannot leave the car run for a long time because it starts to get super hot when idling.

StlSupercoupe
09-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Before you spend $500+ on a Griffin radiator, why not try doing some troubleshooting first? But of course, it's your money.

Guess that would make total sense first.

Smkn600ctd
09-12-2009, 10:21 PM
He got it from summit racing.

rad70
09-13-2009, 12:48 AM
didn't say your elevation above sea level, but if your vacuum gage is correct, 4-5,000 ft?, need more cooling area the higher you go.

93superchicken
09-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I got the same problem, just got done letting it idle in the drive and watching the fan to see if it was coming on and it never did. I can drive all day but if I have to sit to long I get real nervous. if anyone would like to give ways to trouble shoot the fan system it would be greatly appreciated.

Pablo94SC
09-13-2009, 03:47 PM
I got the same problem, just got done letting it idle in the drive and watching the fan to see if it was coming on and it never did. I can drive all day but if I have to sit to long I get real nervous. if anyone would like to give ways to trouble shoot the fan system it would be greatly appreciated.

Search is your friend... http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=747842&postcount=6