Intake Manifold Discussion

Toms-SC

Hey,

Perhaps a little late but I can't help to notice that Charles has designed a intercooled intake manifold for his TVS Tork Tech kits.

http://shop.torktech.com/intercooledlowermanifoldadapterforusewithturbocentrifugalsetups.aspx

I'm wondering it if would be super difficult for him reverse engineer and shrink it to fit our cars. Guess we can dream? Seems like he has got two things for the Mustang that could be applied to the SuperCoupe crowd and sold under the MagnumPowers brand name.

- A relationship with TVS
- A intercooled intake manifold

Last edited:
Personally I'm not too impressed (looking at from a street car perspective).

What insulates it from direct contact with the engine, which will be hotter than the intake charge?

At best in a street application the fluid will only be as cool as ambient air. So you have hot water bath in the lifter valley and a air-to-air intercooler mounted else where.

I'd say a waste of $1400.

At best in a street application the fluid will only be as cool as ambient air. So you have hot water bath in the lifter valley and a air-to-air intercooler mounted else where.

I'd say a waste of $1400.

Ambient is all you will ever get with a traditional air-air or air-water intercooler setup. In this system you would not have an air-air intercooler. The intake manifold itself contains an air-water intercooler internally with the water being pumped out to an external heat exchanger. That's what the pipe fittings are there for. The intake is built such that you can have an inter-cooler without having to figure out a convoluted air-air setup and have a godawful mess of piping running in the engine bay like SC's do.

Hardly a waste of $1400, maybe just overpriced is all. :rolleyes:

You do know how liquid to air intercoolers work, right? :eek:

I've been exchanging e-mails with Charles. Awhile ago he did a rough intake manifold design for the SC. It is an interesting piece. I'll post up a picture once I get home.

The 3.8 doesn't have the lifter valley of the 4.6/5.4. An integral intercooler would require quite a bit more hood clearance. Don't think Charles can afford to invest any more in our limited market.

The 3.8 doesn't have the lifter valley of the 4.6/5.4. An integral intercooler would require quite a bit more hood clearance. Don't think Charles can afford to invest any more in our limited market.

Unfortunately I think your close to the truth, unless we get a pre-sale going where 'x' amount of units are already sold.

Ok, air-water allows it to be smaller but in our application any space saved in the IC would be lost in the manifold and hood.

Back