Oil Burning on headers

lanteau

I was at the track whooping on some Mustangs last night, and after my final pass I noticed a funny smell. So I pop the hood and low and behold she is smoking!. It turns out to be oil burning on the headers. I'm assuming it is the valve cover gaskets? The only weird thing is, I have never had them do this before, only while making WOT passes. It did not leak at all on the way home. Do you think I am getting positive crankcase pressure? I replaced my PCV valve to a Purolator 2 months ago, and maybe it isn't working properly and under 15psi of boost my crankcase is building pressure and pushing it out the valve cover gaskets? Do you think I should put the stock PCV valve back in? I wish I could get a Motorcraft one but I heard you no longer can and was told the Purolators are the best ones. Everybody's thoughts and ideas are appreciated. Thanks

my mustang blows it up out of the valve cover breathers and i only run 10lbs of boost on it so it may be comeing out of yours like that

I know for a fact it isn't coming out of the breathers because the breather for the driver's side valve cover is on the front of the cover and mine is all oily and smoking at the rear of the cover. I tightened down one of the rear bolts today, it was pretty loose so I'm hoping that fixes it. Otherwise, I will be replacing valve cover gaskets here real soon.:eek:

just tring to help. if you look for some trickflow gaskets they are great and that is all i use on mine they have tat poly blue rubber with a metal fram inside them and you can reuse them so you dont have to buy new ones everytime you have to take off the covers.

I was always under the impression that anything but the motorcraft PCV will cause the crankcase to build pressure. I had an issue with my old PCV. The dipstick would pop out of the tube just enough, that if you pressed it down you would feel it reseat itself. Got a motorcraft PCV and problems solved.

The only problem is that Motorcraft PCV valves are very difficult to come by now since they are no longer made.

Back