Ford has me over a barrel - Help Needed

jmacart

Greetings All -

HELP, I require the ECC 4 Manual, Volume 3, the section on the testing of the DIS (Distributed Ignition System). This is approximately 12 pages of testing proceedures for the pinpont testing computer they use to diagnose these beasts. My local dealership is unable to locate the manual (we're on Vancouver Island in BC) and their best guess at a difficult starting condition is either the crank sensor or the computer as a whole???. This immediately follows the installation of the lower pulley on the supercharger drive belt (much noise)and the cam positioning sensor(difficult starting). Ford asked to retain the car for the next morning to test cold start and she would not - just cranks indefinately now.

This is of course not nearly as specific as I require to make my decision. A guess is not good enough. Any assistance toward the manual would be most appreciated.

Missing my Raven...

Jon

I'm quite afraid that my wife threw out the most recent Charging Thunder magazine in which the DIS was De-Mystified.

(someone with the CT article, help here).

Start with the basics. Check fuel pressure. Check spark.

Intermittant start is typically a cam sensor. That is because without the Cam sensor the engine computer can only GUESS when the #1 cylinder might be at top dead center. And because the coil pack fires two cylinders for each coil, it has a one in 3 chance. Thus the intermittant nature.

BUT - If the Crank Position Sensor is not working, the engine will not start. Without this reference, the engine computer has no hope of guessing anything, so it doesn't.

Now if you had to replace the Harmonic Balancer on the engine crankshaft, the likely hood of damage to the Crank sensor is high. A wobbling Harmonic Balancer can take out the sensor if it wobbles enough.

The charging thunder article had the details for all of it. But I would think your dealer could check the ford dealer network and get this info from someone else and have it faxed in.

I also have a new DIS in the lower mainland for 100Cnd 75US shipped if you need one.

If you are cranking and the "up-shift" light doesnt go out when turning over(stays lit) the crank sensor is bad. I usually find out if one sensor goes, change them all, mine all went within half a year of each other:rolleyes:

I also have a 5-speed computer for a 89-90 SC

rksc90@hotmail.com

Cam sensor new...

The cam sensor has been replaced as Fords first assumption of hard starting culprit. Prior to this it did start?!? Only after the repair does it refuse to go...

Car is 5 speed, no lights to read in diagnostic process...

Delership has testing gear, needs routine to follow to complete pin point test and say which delightful component is failing now... I love this car but this is truely exasperating...

Thanks for Charging Thunder lead and offer of replacement DIS team, much appreciated... still need this manual though, on tree pulp or digital, doesn't matter...

Cheers All,

Jon

Cam sensor new...

The cam sensor has been replaced as Fords first assumption of hard starting culprit. Prior to this it did start?!? Only after the repair does it refuse to go... Now they think either crank sensor or computer as a whole???

Car is 5 speed, no lights to read in diagnostic process...

Delership has testing gear, needs routine to follow to complete pin point test and say which delightful component is failing now... I love this car but this is truely exasperating...

Thanks for Charging Thunder lead and offer of replacement DIS team, much appreciated... still need this manual though, on tree pulp or digital, doesn't matter...

Cheers All,

Jon

Still searching for information...

Thanks everyone - I'm getting great suggestions from everyone who has responded thus far but I really need the manual so Ford can do their magic. I need to drive!

Perhaps someone knows how to verify a starting issue in the absence of the diagnostic computer in a 5 speed '90?

Thanks - Keep the ideas coming - we may hit on one yet!

Jon

Tell your FORD dealer to call another FORD dealer and get it from them. Fax machines work across country boundaries. Their FORD contact should be able to track it down in Canada or the US and get the pages they need faxed to them.

Back