Need help quick. Brakes not working on my SC

MustangJake88

Ok, so I got my Super Coupe licensed and everything today. Got to driving it, the braking was kinda crappy, so I replaced the rear pads because they were shot. The fronts were still good. After I had replaced the pads, I had bled the rear brakes. Afterwards, the car had a VERY stiff brake pedal and the "Antilock" light would not go off for anything and the car WAS NOT stopping. Then outta nowhere my pedal dropped when I had applied pressure to the pedal and everything was perfect brakewise until I parked the car. I took it out for another spin and yet again, the brake pedal became extremely stiff and the "Antilock" light is once again on in constant and NOT STOPPING. So, me and my uncle bled my front brakes. Still a stiff pedal and the light is still on. Anyone have any ideas what this could be? All I know is I am really REALLY pi$$ed right now. I have been wanting to drive this car for SOOOO long and now I finally have it licensed and the brakes start acting up! AH!:mad:

re brakes

it could be 3 things the relay in the fire wall ... or the switch on the abs pump this one is a ~~~~ to change .... it's a dark green ...... or the hydraulic motor is in his way out.....

It could be a few things.....

From what you have described, I would suspect the pump motor pressure switch is acting up....

Look for the pump motor, it is located under the black ball (accumulator) next to the master cylinder....

After you have found it, have someone get in your SC and pump the brakes 10 - 15 times.....

Have them put the key in the ignition switch and turn the switch to run, but do not start the engine.....

Listen for the pump motor running.....

You should hear it it hum for about 20 - 30 seconds then click off....

Let me know what happens and we'll go from there.....:D

I don't know where any of this is. One of the Mustang guys told me to check the ABS connectors and clean them. The brakes worked fine all the times I test drove the car, and then today when I FINALLY get to drive it, they go bad. UGH!

When I first bought my car. The brakes felt like I was trying to stop it Fred Flintstone style. Very hard and not slowing down. It was the pump motor relay. On my '90 it is a brown square relay that is on the passenger side firewall. Start with that first. Less than $30 bucks last time I checked and that fixed the hard brake issue for me.

If that's not it, then got to the green switch that stick out from the pump motor. I bought $50 ford specialized deep-well socket to take that off with out rounding it out.

You first need to verify that the pump motor is alright....

I don't think it's the ABS relay (brown relay located on the firewall next to the passenger side hood strut)....

Everything else that could be causing your problem is located under that black ball thingy.....:p

It could be a few things.....

From what you have described, I would suspect the pump motor pressure switch is acting up....

Look for the pump motor, it is located under the black ball (accumulator) next to the master cylinder....

After you have found it, have someone get in your SC and pump the brakes 10 - 15 times.....

Have them put the key in the ignition switch and turn the switch to run, but do not start the engine.....

Listen for the pump motor running.....

You should hear it it hum for about 20 - 30 seconds then click off....

Let me know what happens and we'll go from there.....:D
tried it. no pump kick on

The pump is not kicking on because your brown relay is probably stuck open.
Is that the little brown plug lookin thing down there that has a big silver dot on the side about the size of a dime? the top plug part is black and the actual bottom part is brown? its the only brown thing I see on the passenger side

I remember reading this when I had my brake problems (I've taken mine apart and in and out of my car about 5 times now!) and it was a wealth of knowledge.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/abs-system.html

Refer to the section about 1/3 of the way down that is titled in bold Hard peddle amber light always on or something like that. The last bullet point mentions the pump motor relay. The pressure switch (green thing) is a possibility, but the relay is a simpler start to your fix. I know. :)

I remember reading this when I had my brake problems (I've taken mine apart and in and out of my car about 5 times now!) and it was a wealth of knowledge.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/abs-system.html

Refer to the section about 1/3 of the way down that is titled in bold Hard peddle amber light always on or something like that. The last bullet point mentions the pump motor relay. The pressure switch (green thing) is a possibility, but the relay is a simpler start to your fix. I know. :)
Yeah, I already read that. I wish I knew these cars like I knew fox body Mustangs. I would have had this problem fixed by now! :(

If the pump motor isn't coming on, it could be the brown relay that you found.....

One other thing you can do is apply 12v directly to the pump motor....

The connector for it is on the drivers side of the master cylinder.....

If the pump motor isn't coming on, it could be the brown relay that you found.....

One other thing you can do is apply 12v directly to the pump motor....

The connector for it is on the drivers side of the master cylinder.....
I have no tester. My dads garage burned down and my mom has almost no tools at all. It sucks really bad :mad:

Back