Cornering lamps in the bumper

ricardoa1

So I took off the bumper of my parts car and decided to take apart the cornering lamp from the car to use on another bumper. The things self destructs if it had some age on it. The way it was put together is the most lame way screws and bolts freeze on the plastic and the plastic break away.
Does anyone have a set they have been able to take apart and not have it break. I might need a set. I am going to try to take apart the anniversary ones and hope those are in better condition and wont break on me.

Also some additional facts, The outer trim ring says SUPER COUPE on it and even 94 bumpers have a template stamped on the inside of the bumpers for the cornering lamps I wonder if Ford ever offered them in other markets. Last facts. These things were hand installed at the factory a razor or some kind of freehand tool was used to make the opening before installing these. Seems like a expensive way of doing things by ford, especially if they messed it up.

FYI, there are two versions of those lamps....one version, when installed on an early facia as an example, will come up approx. 3/8" less deep, leaving a distinct gap when installed.

I've had more than one assembly apart and re-installed without breaking, but of course it came to that because an original broke somewhere along the line and had to be replaced.

Last edited:
FYI, there are two versions of those lamps....one version, when installed on an early facia as an example, will come up approx. 3/8" less deep, leaving a distinct gap when installed.

I've had more than one assembly apart and re-installed without breaking, but of course it came to that because an original broke somewhere along the line and had to be replaced.

I am confused on this I did not think that there would be any gap the trim bezel seems to fit the contours of the bumpers not sure how that will work out.

The lights I am talking about are on the bumper not the fender next to the headlights. Are we talking about the same thing?

f_17438501_1.jpeg

Rico - I'm got one that I took off a junkyard car that didn't break. You're right - they're a pain to get off the car without breaking the stoopid plastic stud.

That's interesting that they have "supercoupe" on them...there are plenty of the cornering lights on early base model t-birds and cougars. Not common...but they're not too hard to find.

I've "fixed" a few by installing a long threaded bolt that matched the ID of the broken plastic studs.....

Then use your imagination and some fender washers to finish the job.....

Not to steal the thread, but while we're on the subject, i'm in serious need of the wiring that connects th cornering lamps to the prewired chassie. My old buper didnt have the lamps, then I put on a new bumper after an "accident":rolleyes: so I now have two non-functing cornering lamps. No one I on the entire internet sells them. Please god someone prove me wrong!!!

Thanks.

Mike

So I managed to pull apart the ones from the anniversary. still the little plastic studs broke in half on the outer trim ring, I can manage and get another nut I going to pick up a a die and put threads on it. But I broke the inner black part the one that bolts to the fender with one bolt even though there is two holes :rolleyes: Anyways I need a left inner bracket I can use it but I will not be able to secure it to the fender. Not a big deal but I am fuzzy about these things so anyone has one that wants to sell cheap for a good cause hit me up. Otherwise i have to manage with what I got.

There are three pieces for those that dont know
The outer black piece that you see, the inner black bracket, and the white lamp. All three make the set.

>I am confused on this I did not think that there would be any gap.

The gap comes from mixing assemblies from different years. If installed and no gap...forget about it.

As you pointed out, there are three pieces - the outer black piece that you see, the inner black bracket, and the white lamp - There are at least two variations on the outer black piece/bezel. A short one (outside-to-inside depth) and a taller one.

Use the wrong one and everything will still neatly bolt into place, but you'll wind up with a gap between the inside edge of the outer bezel and the surface of the lens/lamp. Just a heads up if you happen to find yourself in this position.

I lost one outer bezel in a car wash and pulled a used one off a donor car in a yard as a replacement. The 'fresh' assembly bolted in nicely, but when it was done, there was a gap....surprise. I had to go back for another and made sure to take it from the same year (1990) SC. No gap the second time. I was puzzled until I had both assemblies (outer bezels) to compare and then the difference was clear.

I'll dig thru my spares and get part numbers and shot some photos if needed, but again, just be sure to compare what comes out with what goes in to save yourself the trouble - don't assume all are the same. Another head-shaking example of the $$ and time that went into the design of these cars. Why one assembly would not be enough for all years is still something I haven't determined.

Last edited:
Back